Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C9.25 on HEQ5 anyone?

kirkster501

What do you reckon? I really like SCT scopes and and looking to get a C925 - perhaps a Edge one too. Will my HEQ5 - great mount that I like - support it with AP stuff do you think? Or should I flog the HEQ5 and get me a HEQ6? Yes, appreciate the HEQ5 is always better but is it necessary?

I am going to continue with my ED80 and CPC1100. The ED80 works well on the HEQ5.

Thanks, Steve

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just noticed the sell the c11 on the cg5-gt too

Thats ridiculous.

I use a C11 on an EQ6. It's fine for planetary imaging, but the slightest touch has the whole thing vibrating (and I use an ADM Losmandy puck and Losmandy dovetail). I shudder to think how wobbly it would be on a CG5 with a tiny Vixen style clamp and dovetail. DSO work would be a frustrating experience on the EQ6. I would imagine it would be impossible on a CG5.

I own a C9.25 but i use a NEQ6. With my Flea3 and other bits and bobs i'm coming in theory to my planetary imaging limit on the mount though i see no physical movement. I'd go for at least a NEQ6 or higher if you can manage it. Alot of the top planetary imagers use Losmandy G11s but that's a budget breaker and probably one for later on.

I have a C11 on a well tuned and modified CG5, it can work for planetary/lunar although you need to spend a bit of cash and do a full rebuild and change the vixen saddle out for losmandy

both images taken on c11 with dslr mpeg video on cg5 - poor quality due to my inexperience and weather conditions, taken from seaside back garden

post-9935-0-26166400-1350508320_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-05203400-1350508480_thumb.jp

Hi,

I have a C11 on an EQ6 and it is fine for DSOs. A lot of the slop comes from the tripod and I bought a pier to mount my eq6 on. It is pretty heavy, but heavy is good? It is certainly very stable and doesn't move inthe wind. My pier weighs about 27kg and with the mount attached it is about 45kg. I keep it in a shed and lift put it when I want to use it. It is about the maximum weight I can manage to lift off the trolley and on to the concrete block.

To answer your question a C11 will be too heavy, a C9.25 will be fine for visual, the planets and right at the top end for AP. you will need to balance it very well an use guiding for for all exposures over a few seconds. It also depends on how much other stuff you are going to hang off it?

So get a solid base, get a pier and it should work okay.

Hi,

I have a C11 on an EQ6 and it is fine for DSOs. A lot of the slop comes from the tripod and I bought a pier to mount my eq6 on. It is pretty heavy, but heavy is good? It is certainly very stable and doesn't move inthe wind. My pier weighs about 27kg and with the mount attached it is about 45kg. I keep it in a shed and lift put it when I want to use it. It is about the maximum weight I can manage to lift off the trolley and on to the concrete block.

That's interesting, and thanks for posting.

i am part way through building a small obsy and have a hankering to try galaxy imaging with the C11. I was hoping that putting it on a pier would make a difference, as it is really quite poor on the tripod.

Hi

I had a pier custom made by Graham of Astrotec. He makes a portable pier and a couple of fixed piers. What he made for me was somewhere between the two. Smaller and lighter than his fixed pier (which is really a two man lift) but heavier than his portable pier and with a square base to attach to a concrete block. I cast a fair size block under my decking and it is rock solid, even in the wind. Of course the block is isolated from the decking so it doesn't even move when I walk around.

post-10602-0-67881300-1350548525.jpg

just noticed the sell the c11 on the cg5-gt too the HEQ5 has a slightly heavier payload capability speak to FLO they will advise. http://www.firstligh...t-xlt-goto.html

HEQ5 payload weight e18kg, c9.25 weight 9.07 kg :grin:

Selling under-mounted scopes is a common pastime among telescope manufacturers.

So a C9.25 is just about 50% of the payload. Of course you have to factor in your camera and anything else, say 2kg for a camera/guider arrangement, but you are still only 60% capacity so it should be fine even for imaging.

I had an HEQ5 prior to an EQ6 and the eq6 is definately a lot bigger, but having said that the HEQ5 is still a meaty thing and if your scope is balanced there is no weight to move, other than the initial inertia of getting it to move and stop. A badly balanced set up would be hopeless on anything unless it was only around 10% of the capacity.

I balance my set up in on the RA axis with the counter weights and on the DEC axis by moving the whole scope backwards and forwards in the saddle. Actually, I did it once for my camera set up and marked the position. I don't balance in the other axis (telescope axis), I know some do, but with it won't be far out, what the finderscope adds will be negated by the dovetail and the scope should be fairly well balanced around it's own axis. You know when you are in balance if you disengage the clutch and the scope doesn't move. Balance does change slightly for different positions, so I always do it for typical RA and DEC settings and accept a slight inbalance at other settings.

My hypertuned NEQ6 with SKF bearings was just about (actually not quite) up to the job of handling 17.5kg of EdgeHD 925. The slightest gust, a bumble-bee landing on the scope...

I have since learned to advantages of having a proper mount - you just cannot over-mount a scope!

/per

My hypertuned NEQ6 with SKF bearings was just about (actually not quite) up to the job of handling 17.5kg of EdgeHD 925. The slightest gust, a bumble-bee landing on the scope...

I have since learned to advantages of having a proper mount - you just cannot over-mount a scope!

/per

per, 17.5kg for a 9.25? What did you have in it? Uranium or something ! :) Why so heavy? NEQ6 should easily cope with a C9.25...... ? I reckon 9.25 with a DSLR, guide scope and other bits should max at about 13 or 14kg.

per, 17.5kg for a 9.25? What did you have in it? Uranium or something ! :) Why so heavy? NEQ6 should easily cope with a C9.25...... ? I reckon 9.25 with a DSLR, guide scope and other bits should max at about 13 or 14kg.

9.25, one Lepus corrector, SX filter wheel, SBIG ST-8300M, dew controller and hood, Orion Shorttube guide scope, guide camera... That should be about it ;) It weighs in at 17.5 actually, no joke. I had both counter weights and the shaft extender, the weights all the way out and barely made it.

I got really nice shots with it, but the NEQ6 cannot handle that load for photographic work should there be the smallest breeze or other disturbance.

Maybe most people don't realize how much weight the actually put on their mounts?

/per

Archived