Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wide Field EP's

Ganymede12

Since getting my 200p dob I have realised that magnification isn't everything! So what eyepiece would let me see the Andromeda galaxy (Plus it's companion galaxy's) all at once?

If possible, I'd like to be able to see the Veil and North America Nebulas as well with this eyepiece.

For budget, I'm looking at under £40 if possible i.e the cheaper the better (providing It's still good quality).

The scope I am using is a Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200p dob.

Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

For the budget you've set yourself you would probably have to find a widefield EP second hand.

I can recommend the 2-inch Panaview, I use the 32mm but you might be able to get away with the 38mm version as younger eyes = wider pupil expansion.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-panaview-2-eyepieces.html

HTH!

Something to be aware of before you purchase a new EP. Your scope is a F5.9 which would put some cheaper EPs under pressure as it is reasonably fast scope. And as you are talking about low power, wide field, the "mushiness" in the outer field may be disappointing to you, so unless someone can recommend an EP up to the job in your price bracket (though second hand is always a possibility which bring more into play) you might want to save a bit longer and buy something with a little more quality.

Your best bet is to go for a second hand EP.

I picked up a, Wide Scan, 13 mm, 84 deg,EP for

£60.You need something good for your scope .

Astro Buy & sell is worth looking at.The wider

the view,the more expensive im afraid.I dont

think your going to pick much up for under £40 .

Steve.

They look a bit like the generic Erfle-design EPs that you can also buy from Teleskop-Service.

But I think skies-the-limit offer a no quibble return if you don't like the eyepiece, so it may be worth a try.

I can get all three in my big dob and 26mm eyepiece which gives 1.15 degrees of field. a 32mm plossl in your scope would give about 1.3 degrees, more than enough and cheap too. you could even get a used Televue plossl for maybe £60 but there are options. one of these I looked through was OK http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-omni-plossl-eyepiece.html and even these http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-sp-plossl-eyepieces.html might be ok too in your scope.

Revelation do a couple of 2" wide ep`s, i use the 42mm for trying to get the magnification down in my 180 pro and for wide field in my tal 100, they are about £40, BUT i dont know how they would fare in a f5.9

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Revelation_42mm_Widefield_Eyepiece_2_.html

I can get all three in my big dob and 26mm eyepiece which gives 1.15 degrees of field. a 32mm plossl in your scope would give about 1.3 degrees, more than enough and cheap too. you could even get a used Televue plossl for maybe £60 but there are options. one of these I looked through was OK http://www.firstligh...l-eyepiece.html and even these http://www.firstligh...-eyepieces.html might be ok too in your scope.

Andromeda is 3 degrees so 1.3 degree view wouldn't quite make half of it all.

If the scope is a 200P and f/6 then 1200mm FL with a 60 degree eyepiece that means a magnification of 20x so an eyepiece of 60mm. All of Andromeda is bigger then most realise, or, and much more likely, the field of view through a scope is a lot narrower then many think.

The core and M32+M110 may fit in a 1.3 degree view.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Right now I'm leaning toward the Sky-Watcher 32mm SP Plossl Eyepiece or the Revelation 42mm Wide Filed Eyepiece 2". The Sky-Watcher has the advantage of being cheaper but I wouldn't mind paying an extra £9 if the quality is better.

42mm might be pushing the exit pupil a bit. I had trouble with a 38mm panaview, could start to see the secondary in the center...

Though i didnt get on with the panaview, i think it was mainly due to being spoiled by a hyperion aspheric. As a cheap option, panaviews are pretty decent, and would show you what you're after. Be aware though, the veil is a tough target with our scopes, you need somewhere pretty dark. Filters help massively, but they're expensive.

No matter what you buy for £40, i can almost guarantee you'l be wanting to upgrade it within 6 months, so dont stress out too much about it and remember you can always sell it on for most of what you paid.

I don't think you will find an eyepiece that will get the whole of the Veil complex / M31 and companions in to be honest. My 10" F/4.8 Orion Optics newtonian is the same focal length as your dob and the Nagler 31mm gives me a true field of 2.12 degrees - not wide enough to show the whole of either object and the 31mm Nagler is about as wide as it gets.

In my 102mm ED F/6.5 refractor though the same eyepiece shows nearly 4 degrees of sky which is enough to get the whole of the Veil in and most of M31 and companions.

I'd not buy a wide angle eyepiece to use in an F/6 scope for £40 to be honest. I'd buy a normal field GSO 32mm plossl and then start saving......

I have a generic 38mm 70* panaview looky likey that frames M31,32 and 110 perfectly in my 200 dob, cost £60 new, not the best optically but it'll do until I can afford a TV Panoptic

That shows the same true field as the Nagler 31. I agree that you can get the core of M31, M32 and M110 in the same field but the Veil won't fit, unfortunately. That seems to need a true field of over 3 degrees to see both the east and west segments in.

The 38mm Panaview or a similar eyepiece would be the best low cost option though.

Looking at the price of a 38mm Panaview I wouldn't exactly call It a "low cost option". :eek:

But a 32mm Sky-Watcher Plossl would let me see the core of andromeda plus the two companions?

How much of the north america nebula would I be able to see?

I've never seen much of the NA Nebula to be honest, even with a 4 degree field of view. I reckon 15x70 binoculars do better than a scope on that one.

The 32mm plossl would show you a 1.4 degree true field with your scope. Here is the m31 / m32 / m110 group with a 6" F/8 newtonian (same focal length as your scope) and that eyepiece (under very dark skies):

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000275.html

It's not my sketch but does illustrate what can fit in that field of view.

I estimate the North America Nebula is approx 4° across at its widest point so no chance viewing it in its entirety with a 32mm plossl, or any other eyepiece for that matter! Thats not to say you can't view it though, it can be fun tracing its outline if your skies are dark enough.

It'll also depend on how dark your observing location is... from here with the dreaded LP, I can make out the cores of both M31 and M32 in the FOV of the 20mm Nagler. The cores are distinct and I can't make out the fainter vast extension of M31 with the orange glow :(

Maybe. I don't find nebula filters help, but my scope is smaller and slower - my max exit pupil is only 2mm.

On the subject of M31, my best view ever (with hint of dust lanes) was with a pair 16x50 binoculars from a moderately rural location.

Archived