Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wide Field EP's

Ganymede12

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would I be better buying a Nebula Filter to enhance my views of nebula?

A UHC or an O-III filter will enhance the contrast of many nebulae (but not galaxies). In some cases they make the difference between seeing virtually nothing and a rather nice view (eg: the Veil and Owl nebulae).

They work even better under dark skies too of course !

So, should I go for a Nebula Filter or a wide field EP? :icon_scratch:

With a wide field EP I could see more of the Andromeda and all of the Pleiades.

With a Nebula filter I can see more detail in nebula (?)

What do you think would be a bigger benefit?

So, should I go for a Nebula Filter or a wide field EP? :icon_scratch:

With a wide field EP I could see more of the Andromeda and all of the Pleiades.

With a Nebula filter I can see more detail in nebula (?)

What do you think would be a bigger benefit?

I guess the wide field eyepiece will get more use than the filter (at least thats how I find it). I have to be honest though and say that you will need to find more than £40 to get a decent wide field eyepiece - perhaps double that ?.

The filter would be extremely useful on certain objects, when you can afford one though. The chance to view an object like the Veil nebula is worth the price of the filter alone, in my opinion :smiley:

Ant, the NA nebula is best seen in 10x50 bins since these have a 5 degree field of view and will cover the whole nebula. BUT you have to observe this nebula in very dark skies because of its very low surface brightness.

I have seen just a hint of the brighter parts with my 10" under very dark skies (VLM at near 6th mag.) and even then I had to slowly sweep from the nebula into the dark rift between it and the Pelican (an even fainter object). But the NA was easy during the same night with 10x50s although still rather faint and when I slowly swept across the nebula. I have yet to see the Pelican Nebula with bins or scope in the darkest skies I have encountered.

So the answer is maybe but only the brighter parts and these will be very faint in your 8 inch even under very dark skies :huh:

I am sorry to say that I don't believe you will be able to buy an eyepiece that will encompass the veil as it is rather large and you need a 2 inch ep. You are not going to get a decent quality ep for 40 pounds secondhand as the wider field type tend to be the most expensive. You could as others have said pick up a BST for this price or may be a bit more, this should show M32 and partners.

Alan.

Now I have to bring in a 3rd idea. A Light Pollution Filter!

Much cheaper than the Nebula Filter, I think I would use it more as well since I mainly observe in my Garden with Light Pollution.

Looks like a decent Wide Field EP is going to be too expensive and a nebula filter won't be any help if I can't see the Nebula!

So what are your thoughts on LP Filters? Mainly, which one should I get? Would a Sky-Watcher one do or should it be worth spending the extra money on a Baader Neodymium?

On another forum someone once asked "whats the best thing I can buy for $50 that will give me better views of deep sky objects ?"

One reply, which I though pretty good, was "a tankful of gas (petrol) to get you and the scope out to dark skies !" :smiley:

I think jimmyjamjoejoe's advice is sensible right now - use what you have and make the best of it while you save some more £'s to give yourself some upgrade options that will really make a difference.

Archived