Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Not my first Jupiter

Jupiterholic

Thinks its about my 53rd actually but 'My 53rd Jupiter' doesn't quite have the same ring as 'my first Jupiter' ;)

This is from stupid o clock this morning (7th October). Taken through the setup in my signature using an IR block filter. Seeing was absolutely horrible when I first got going but very suddenly went steady as a rock. Which was nice. This is the best of the bunch.

07102012034944.jpg

Can I ask do you use the stock focuser on the C8 or do you use a Crayford or other?

Thanks for the kind comments all.

Yeah I use the focuser that came on the C8. I've never really felt any need to change it. The only need I did find was a need to get my clumsy fingers away from it as focusing is hard enough without the added erratic wobbling caused by physical contact with the focusing knob.

So I recently fitted an electric motor to the focuser so I do it all remotely now (as 'remote' as a handset connected to the focuser by a cable can be anyway). Its certainly easier, though I've never had any real problems finding point of focus even without it. Focusing is one of the very few things in astrophotography I'm quite good at. :p

Hi Neil,

Not intending this to be a shameless plug of another thread of mine, but I know you're interested in high FL lunar shots, have you seen the few F30 mosaics I got on the same night as this Jupiter:

again, I got lucky with the seeing I think but it was quite challenging as I've gotten very used to F10 work on the moon. At this FL those craters couldn't drift off my camera chip fast enough! and I thought I was good at polar aligning! ;)

I think the plato has come out best, with Moretus second, plato has that natural feel thats is so important for any lunar work. Well done on that. I was so busy trying to get a semi decent shot of jupiter, that i only managed a couple of shots in the morning. Jupiter is going to distract me from lunar this year, i find if i cant get a sharp shot i have to persist all night trying. And if seeing is good, i cant leave it alone either. Catch 22.

Archived