'Scope in Shed???

We've just had the garden redone and as a consequence we have a nice new shed...unfortunately the wife has decided that this would be a good place for my 'scope to go (apparently the dining room ISN'T the right place...) Would leaving it in a shed full time do it any damage? I don't have any kind of cover for it at the moment and wondered if this would actually help or not anyway...

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So long as it is dry I don't see any problems. Worth getting a cover for it to keep the dirt and bugs out. Probably also worth getting a de-humidifier of some sort, either powered or you can get passive ones.

Make sure the shed is secure, and ideally block any windows, or make sure that it is well hidden from view. Lastly, also make sure you have proper insurance for your kit.

The benefit of keeping the scope outside is that it will be cooled down so you'll be able to use it pretty much as soon as you put it out.

Cheers

Stu

No problem at all during autumn/winter. Good idea to maybe cut a few vent holes (cover them up with wire mesh to keep the bugs out). I did this with my shed and used old pc fans rigged up to a car battery and thermostat. It started the fans whenever the temp got above 28 degrees. Those summer temps can cause lots of humidity in sheds. :-)

I keep my 200p in the shed. It was a new shed, and we painted it with white emulsion inside to make it less "sheddy" if you know what I mean. I use it as a warm room too, and set up the telescope on some paving outside.

I can report mixed success with keeping the scope in the shed. Mostly it's been ok. But one time some insects and condensation got inside and the mirror got very dirty with insect sh... Poo. I had to take it out and clean it.

I'm now trying out keeping the scope in some black bin liners really well sealed with string. I'm hoping this works better than the sleeping bag it was wrapped up in before.

The problem I think is that no matter how dry a shed seems, the air will be as damp as the air outside .... And boy have we had some rain this year in the UK!! It also gets very hot and cold depending on the weather.

So, I feel this is a test in progress. I THINK IF I had a new scope I'd want to keep it in a sealed box.

Hope that helps.

Hi Yidoboy,

I've kept my scope in my shed for roughly a year now. It's all set up and ready to go whenever i'm ready.

The only problems i've come across so far are;

1. My scope needs a good clean (only on the outside), as i did a lot of work to my garden over the summer and it has a thin layer of dust all over it.

(so glad the ep and the open end of the scope were covered).

2. I didn't use the scope over the summer months and when i next came to use it, the rubber eye cup on the ep had perished and is hanging off. I can only put this down to the servere changes in temperature day in, day out.

I think next summer i will take the ep out and just cover the ep hole in the focuser.

HTH.

D.C

If I was a spider Id go and live in a scope in a shed without a moment's hesitation. You have that dangly little mirror inside to aim your silk skills at/ hang about and things, the big mirror to look well pretty damn scary like -all- the time and hide behind when the big bald human comes and mucks around, and generally have really rather an ace time.

I would make a ply or Mdf box- simply done easily enough, doesnt have to look good just be functional.. keep spiders (and wifey) away.

The benefits of spiders in an shed is that they keep wifey out ! Try to encourage the big uns..... Get them to dangle from the roof just above the door....

Then, when SWMBO isn't looking, install a pier, slide the roof off and hey presto, an obsy.

As far as I can see, everyones a winner :grin:

We've got a cinder block built shed at the bottom of the garden - I built a cupboard under a workbench that the scope just fits into in its untrussed state - I built a little trolley type thing with castors so that its easy to pull it out from the cupboard and push it back in again. So far it seems pretty happy in there and no sneaky spiders have been able to find their way into the cupboard.

Definately be a good place for scope, install a pier and roll off roof.

Had my scope in shed (obsy) for years with no ill effects, heating and dehumidifers recommended.

Dave

Fully agree with everything he said.

Had my roll off shed about 4 years now. Best astro spend I have made.

On the security side of storing in a shed. This is not a big issue.

Just do a few internal mods to the shed so the obvious crowbar on hinges or lock won't get you very far in a short time.

Putting iron bars and big locks on the outside sends the message 'valuables inside, bring big crowbar'.

Then with a bit of careful thought, you can make a car alarm do an extremely good job of protecting the shed.

House alarms are fine in the warm and dry. Standard shed alarms are generally rather basic.

Car alarms run for ages on a 12V battery. They are intended to work in engine compartments.

That is damp or dry from minus whatever centrigrade to very hot.

They accept a variety of sensor inputs. Door switches, shock sensor, movement inside, etc.

You can connect several independent lights and sounders. Smash one sounder off and the others keep going.

The alarms have remote turn on/off available.

All from a £50 or less alarm plus a few extras.

I won't go into the specifics of shed protection on open forum. Suffice it say I think that anyone who started on my shed would decide to run off before getting very far on with the break in. Cost to me was probably around £100 all in for the physical measures, alarm system and alarm extras.

The security side of the shed has been done before but just to go over what I have done myself. For me it all starts with the access to the garden, it's sourrounded by a 6" femce with plenty of rose bushes, where access is available over the fence there is compost bins which is kept "watered" by my best watering system ;). Anyone getting over the fence will either get a broken/badly sprained ankle or come in close contact with some bamboo. The garden is laid out to ensure safety in day but a horror to walk round at night if not known and a lot of noise ensues, so that anyone who gets to my shed will be sore, wet and demoralised. The shed if they enter has it's own suprises and ensures that whoever has entered will not have long there. Movement having been monitored from the time of entering the garden enures a timely response from me and I doubt if anyone wants to hang around :). So yes I have all my equipment in the observatory and I sleep well, mmmmmm no, the wife snores :D

Jim

Keeping a scope outside in secure surroundings, shed or garage is not a problem, a simple made storage box of chipboard, it does not have to be a work of art, to store the scope in, is best, with copious amounts of silica to cut down on the moisture in the box. It is also recommended that you cap off your eye piece holder and keep your ep`s indoors, Chinese rubber, if you can call it that, quickly perishes if left out in the elements. A light coating of WD40 on any exposed steel screw parts of the mount is worth a consideration, this can be kept in an old zipped holdall, again with silica to keep moisture at bay and keep out the creepy crawlies :)

John.

Archived