Hi from Chatham

Duke2k

Hi all. I have been interested in astronomy since I was a little kid and my Dad showed me the plough or big dipper. I bought a planisphere out of my pocket money and spent many nights trying to find the other constellations. When I left school (1975) I bought a 60mm refractor from Dixons and was amazed at the views of the Moon. One night a friend was looking through the scope and stumbled upon Saturn. I didnt believe that he could see it but when I looked through the eyepiece there it was. WOW!

Not having a great deal of money I couldnt afford a better scope at the time, and so I used the one I had for several years but never had that same Wow moment. As the years went by my interests changed but I always tried to keep up with astronomical events and managed to see Halleys comet when the local society had an open evening. A Tasco 114mm reflector was given to me in the 1990's but I simply couldn't get used to using it.

Earlier this year I joined my local Astro society Mid Kent Astro and found everyone to be very friendly and very helpful. I then bought a used Skymax 150 Maksutov and eq5 pro goto mount and although I have had a few problems with the mount (bent bolts etc) I am very pleased with my scope. I now seem to get a wow moment most times I observe and I only wish that I had got a bigger scope many years ago. :grin:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big SGL welcome from Bulgaria. I was born in Chatham many years ago and went to Highfields school which I think has finished. I lived in Sturla Road and moved from there in 1971 I was 15 at the time, I now live in Bulgaria. SGLis a great site join in and enjoy.

Alan.

Fairly ironic I bought my first scope from Dixons at the same time but I got the 3 inch version, I thought it was the biggest scope on earth at the time, still I was only young. I guess we are the same age give or take a year I wonder if we both know someone that is one and the same.

Alan.

Hey, I'm in Chatham too. Maybe we're getting enough to start a Medway society?? I couldn't find one when I looked.

One problem that I'm finding is that viewing isn't great when looking towards the town or the dockyard (which is unfortunately my best viewing direction) - way too much light pollution. Do you know of anywhere in the area that's public, safe, with low light interference and 360 degree viewing?

There is the Mid Kent Astronomical Society of which I am now a member. They meet every second and last Friday of the month at Bredhurst village hall near Gillingham. Alternate weeks are at their observatory in Canterbury which houses a C14, which will soon grow into a 20" Grubb Parsons scope courtesy of the Edinburgh Royal Observatory. http://www.midkentastro.org.uk

The field behind the hall at Bredhurst is quite dark for the Medway towns, but like you the glare from Medway city estate and the dockyard put anything in the N west to N east region out of the running, as I live near the town centre. However the club ran a BBC Stargazing live event from the Dockside car park with great success. I suppose the Medway Hospital Heli-pad is out of the running as the view from there would be great. :cool:

Archived