Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky Watcher 200

Hi guys, just need to pick a few of your brains, I have a Celestron Nexstar 4SE but want to upgraid to a bigger better scope, and I want your oppinon on the Sky Watcher 200 8", my Nexstar is brand new but want something bigger.

Cheers Ronnie

I love the 200p it is just the right size in my opinion. It's large enough to see plenty and it's not too big to hump around. I still would like more aperture though :p I think the amount of people with the 200p speaks for itself. 100% Value for money. Only down side I have is that they sell it with the eq5 mount. I hope to upgrade to the heq5 asap as I find the eq5 a little pushed. Hope this helps

Another question the heq5 and the one it somes with eq5 what are the differance also my nestar 4se has a pre-programed hanset thingy :grin: can you atach one to the 200 and if so what would the price be. Thanks again

Another question the heq5 and the one it somes with eq5 what are the differance also my nestar 4se has a pre-programed hanset thingy :grin: can you atach one to the 200 and if so what would the price be. Thanks again

I don't quite understand what you said there. The HEQ5 Pro and EQ5 are completely different mounts. Think of the HEQ5 as a scaeld down version of the EQ6 rather than a beefed up EQ5. If the mount that is supplied with the SW200 is a Pro model (EQ5 Pro or HEQ5 Pro) it will have a goto handset. To convert a non goto Skywatcher EQ3-2 / EQ5/ HEQ5 or EQ6 mount costs about £300. This includes new motors, new motor control board and the Synscan handset.

Peter

I was thinking of the dob when I posted!

The dob saves mega money and the newt will be good for imaging. Take your pic.

You will get rotation in the fov without an eq mount I believe so a dob will only be good for short exposures. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

You will get rotation in the fov without an eq mount I believe so a dob will only be good for short exposures. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

I belive you can correct for this to some extent using programmes like Deep Sky Stacker, or something similar? But EQ mounts are generally recommended especially for longer exposure astrophotography, and if you go down this route all the advice is get the biggest sturdiest mount you can afford. The HEQ5 is likly to be better in this respect than an Eq5 pro or the standard EQ5 with motors fitted as an upgrade.

All I can say is I love my scope and mount. It's a bit tricky autoguiding for astrophotography (if you want to get into this) but does well when it works. I only have limited AP stuff but here's one of my attempts with the scope. You will need to spend more equipment though, if you want to autoguide for longer exposures!

post-1704-0-46541000-1347265365_thumb.jp

I have a 200p eq5 and it's fantastic for visual. if ap is where you think you'll end up think seriously about a heq5 or even eq6. if visual is where your heart lies then eq5 is plenty and if you don't mind doing a bit of work and finding your own targets then the only upgrade the eq5 really needs is an ra motor. having said all this, i'm saving for an eq6 :)

I have a 200p and at first an EQ5 mount, I have had to upgrade to NEQ6 mount for astrophotography. I found that weight was beginning to be a problem on the EQ5 as I was pigglybacking DSLR with large lenses.

But the scope is very good and I love it and reasonably portable

Velvet

Another vote for the 200P. Great all round scope with lots of potential.

I bought it with an EQ5 GOTO which is fantastic for quick setups and finding objects when starting out. But now I want and EQ6 so I can develop my AP tendencies, and then I will want an observatory, etc, etc

Get an HEQ5 or an EQ6 if you think you will want to try AP. Saves time and money later.

Enjoy!

Martin

My wife bought me the 200p and an EQ5 mount for Christmas. She did a serious amount of research before getting it and I'm absolutely delighted with her choice. It takes me about ten minutes to polar align and set up - most of that time is getting the equipment into the garden from upstairs in the house. I really enjoy using it and I'm always itching for a dark night.

Archived