Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blue snowball

Daff

Had about 1 1/3 hours tonight. Spotted snowball, well used goto, moon was to bright for me to see the stars in the area to hop. Any who, that thing is strange, very strange. Every other object I've seen has been, oh, wow and ohhhh but that thing. I just felt uneasy, its a bit spooky, well was to me.

Well the goto has thus got me to be able to star hop to a couple of three. I can find the ring neb in my sleep.

Still puzzeled why that fuzzy blob spooked me and I swear it had a little blue/green colour. Am I going mad ??

Mike

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike

No your deffinitily not going mad, it's not called the blue snowball for no reason. It is blue and even appears that way to the visual astronomer. Some planetary nebulae ( like this one) are bright enough to stimulate the colour receptors in your eye, so can be seen in quite striking colours.

First time I saw the Blue Snowball I was very surprised at its colour, and wondered why the astronomy community don't shout more loudly about it. Is it supposed to be a secret? None of the popular books or magazines I had read up to that point had ever mentioned it.

it is strange now you mention it but lovely all the same, lovely colour though

Sure is, I was taken back in a strange way.

It is a bit spookey isn't it?! It has an almost sci-fi cyclops look about it. Well, to me it does. It's also so very different from other planetaries I see that that increases its oddness.

Very sci-fi, I thought I was seeing things at first.

Archived