NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

largest FOV....

estwing

I use a Pentax XW 5mm which has 20mm of eye relief and a 70 degree apparent field of view. Very comfortable eyepiece to use once you have figured out where the adjustable eye cup needs to be for you. I also have a 4mm Nirvana and 3.5mm Nagler which give wider fields of view but with 12mm of eye relief.

Othoscopics do have short eye relief, it's inherent in their design. A 4mm plossl is even tighter.

At a more reasonable budget level I reckon the TS (Telescope Services) Planetary HR's are pretty good - these are the closest I've used to the original Burgess / TMP Planetaries in both performance and looks / finish.

The best I've ever used was a TMB Supermonocentric 5mm. Trouble is that has a tiny 30 degree field of view and eye relief around the same as an ortho !.

The 5mm Pentax XW gives little or nothing away to an orthoscopic in performance terms (in my opinion) but is much more comfortable to use.

Are you looking for widest fov our better eye relief, am a little confused by the question now.

I have 2.5mm and 7mm t 6 naglers which have 82° afov. To fill the gap I have a 3 to 6 mm nagler zoom which if I remember is 50° and is very good quality and allows you to fine tune the magnification to suit the viewing.

Plenty of options out there which others have better experience of.

Stu

1525 focal length the Pentax gives me 305x mag john..which is about the "limit" for the uk. nagler zoom maybe an option?

About the limit, yes. The Nagler 3-6mm zoom would be an excellent alternative. The field of view is 50 degrees so just a little more than an orthoscopic but the eye relief is 10mm which is much more generous than an ortho or a plossl at any of the focal lengths the zoom covers. You may not use the 4mm or 3mm settings much though.

I use the zoom in a number of scopes and only use the 3 mm setting in my refractors giving x230 in the 106mm. Perhaps a 5 mm would be better, again, depends whether you want a very wide fov, or just something a little wider than you've got. 5mm t6 nagler would be nice with 82°.

Stu

I have not used a 5mm or 6mm BGO but find the 7mm BGO I have about the limit of comfort for eye relief. As a result I went for a used 6-3mm Nagler zoom (used for about £200) and it's a wonderful eyepiece. As mentioned it has a field of 50 degrees so like a plossl zoom really and 10mm of eye relief across the range - this is actually more comfortable than it sounds as the eye lens is reasonably large (9mm).The main advantage is that it provides such a good (infinite) range at the highest magnifications I can use.

It's my main double star and lunar eyepiece on my 6" f11 dob (1600mm focal length) and gives 267-533x. In my 16" dob (focal length 1840mm with Paracorr) it is usable on double stars, moon and even Mars occasionally when seeing allows (300-600x). Usually masked at this mag to 170mm f11.

the nagler zoom,with its eye relief is out in front. Trouble is i was trying to get off that green slope..but when the quality is that good it's hard not to spend hard-earned money on top gear!..and i know the 3-4mm wont get much use but it would be nice to know it's there on those RARE nights....and with my powermate i could always look for footprints on the moon at 1016x mag! :evil6:

I like TV Radians for higher power viewing. The 60 degree apparent field is a surprisingly big step up from a Plossl (50 degree). The eye relief is very generous at 20 mm. You'll have to buy used, but if you see one and it's in the right price range then it could be a keeper. My 10 mm Radian is one of my most used eyepieces.

I agree Umadog. I have a 10mm and 8mm and they are excellent. To my eyes, they just lose a little (a very little) to the sharpness and clean image f the BGOs and don't have the flexibility of the Nagler soom but the wider field / long eye relief certainly makes them great to use.

...for a 4 or 5mm eyepiece.I've got a 4mm ortho and man its tight, just wonderd if there was something similar but..wait for it..."easier on the eye" :rolleyes:

My highest power eyepiece is a 4mm Nirvana (82 degree FOV). It's very nice, but I rarely use it in my 12" F4.9, where it gives x375. If you're able to get regular use out of your 4mm Ortho and are looking for wider field and good eye relief then it's one to consider. I understand that it's effectively the same eyepiece as the Williams Optics UWAN. Planetary views are unlikely to be any better than you get with the ortho, but the wider field can be handy for easier dob tracking - that's why I got mine. I get far more use out of my TMB Planetary 6mm, which has 60 degree field, and cost a lot less.

Archived