Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storing your scope.

FarSide

I think the title says it all really, how do you store your scope? I just had to move my gear to another premesis recently and i'm getting most of my smaller scopes and other bits and bobs in flight cases but i'm keeping my 10" Newt standing up in the room because of it's size. How do you keep your scope? I'm looking for ideas for better storage!

Mike

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My refractors, from 80 to 127mm I keep them on their sides. For the 200mm LX90 I stand this one (in its box) on its end, find this is the best way to handle the box while moving to and from the car, if I have any clear skies that is :grin:

Peter

I shall have to go into Smith's and have a quick look. I store mine on end on my living room, but i know one day the thing is going to go over, that and those that own a 10" SW reflector will know that that cap is easily removed with just a touch - i can see things going wrong quickly!

Can you keep the scope in a shed or garage?

If so, that helps with two problems.

On the way out, the scope is nearer to ambient temperature, reducing cool down time.

On the way in, you don't get a load of condensation from your warm humid house on the cold optics.

Just use any old cupboard, disused wardrobe, etc. that keeps dust off and avoid acciental knocks from the lawn mower, bike, etc.

Mine has pride of place in the corner of my lounge. It always makes for a great conversation piece for visitors too. And in these seldom used days of summer it gets a good dusting once a week.

I once bought a frac from someone who had the scope on display. I didn't know beforehand. Unfortunately the dusting and ensuring eyepiece tube closure were not part of his housekeeping tasks! However, a dismantle and clean made it good as new. He had upgraded from a 102 to 150 frac simply because it looked better on display!

I have all of my kit upstairs in a room to itself. My AA ED80 Trip and ST80 are in flight cases along with my camera and other bits and bobs, but my 10" newt is hanging about on end in the room. Unfortuently the only shed i have is now a chicken coop with 6 chickens living in it, so that's not an option!

My 130 OTA lives in a bubble wrap lined ruck sack on top of a bedroom wardrobe.The EQ2 mount is stored in a box in the shed at my allotment,which is my observing area(we live in an upstairs flat).It takes me less than ten minutes to get there,but the L.P. is a lot less than at home. It can get quite eerie alone down there alone at night with Owls,RATS, and Hedgehogs for company(!).

Corner of the room by the garden door vertically for a quick grab and go.

Same here, although mine is in front of a window.

It doesn't get a lot of sun though, and I keep the shade closed so it should be ok.

I can get my 8" into the garden in under ten seconds and be viewing stuff in under a minute :)

Same here, although mine is in front of a window.

It doesn't get a lot of sun though, and I keep the shade closed so it should be ok.

I can get my 8" into the garden in under ten seconds and be viewing stuff in under a minute :)

OOOH, MATRON!! (read in a Kenneth Williams' voice).

My 130 OTA lives in a bubble wrap lined ruck sack on top of a bedroom wardrobe.The EQ2 mount is stored in a box in the shed at my allotment,which is my observing area(we live in an upstairs flat).It takes me less than ten minutes to get there,but the L.P. is a lot less than at home. It can get quite eerie alone down there alone at night with Owls,RATS, and Hedgehogs for company(!).

I have my own garden with a patio that i observe from, i have a south facing garden with east the west virtually clear, and it still gets eerie when i'm observing. I have quails and chickens for company instead of rats luckily!

I have my own garden with a patio that i observe from, i have a south facing garden with east the west virtually clear, and it still gets eerie when i'm observing. I have quails and chickens for company instead of rats luckily!

I'm constantly squishing slugs and snails on my patio.

Eurghhh!

I'm kind of used to it now :Envy:

Mines in the garage but I've built a little telescope house for it out of a pallet some laminate flooring and an air hockey table to stop the kids knocking it with their bikes and scooters , so scope is at working temp straight away , eyepiece case is kept in the house though

I having been thinking about emulating a post I read the other day...

...where a single door wardrobe was placed in the garage and door sealing trim was used to stop dust and spiders getting in.

I have started making room to do the same. I can then leave my scope attached to the mount and stand it in the cupboard. Putting some shelves in at the top will mean I can store the battery box and cases with eyepieces and other parts in.

I appreciate that it would be close to the garden and the OTA close to outside temperature ready for use, however has anyone had issues with heat during the summer?

Thanks,

Ian

Archived