Greeting from Vegas

echavez123

My name is Ernesto. I am finding and learning from various resources and forums. I have been doing landscape photog for 15+ years. I have tried to photog the night sky several times w/o a mount and was limited to short exposures of 30 sec or less, due to star blur. I take an artistic approach to photog and am eagerly learning the night sky. Just got my base equipment for astrophotog, which consists of:

WO megrez 90mm APO and have mounted it on a G-11.

Tried my first session a few days ago -- what a pain. However, I did take a few pics and was amazed at what the camera sees. I could not even do a good polar alignment cause I couldnt find Polaris thru the polar scope. My first eyepiece is in the mail. So I am anxious to "see" the sky thru the scope. I studied Jerry Lodriguss's astrophotog tutorial, and I know there is some good stuff in the stargazerslounge as well. My philosophy is that I work on something with the equipment I have, and continue until I reach the limitations of the equipment. Then, I consider upgrading.

I look forward to being a student.

Ernesto

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Ah the fun (frustrations?) of the astro photography or as we call it, the 'dark art'. The secret to imaging deep sky objects apart from patience, is going to be the mount and its ability to track accurately for a sufficiently long enough period to perform long exposures. There is the initial steep learning curve but in theory it should get easier as time goes by - but you know what theories are like! :grin:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum,

James

• 3 weeks later...

Archived