Mystery Scope!

Hey folks, just bought my first scope from *cough* ebay.

Been looking at scopes for a beginner for a month or two and bought one i'd seen recently on ebay, was looking for a skywatcher dob but found this one, and decided to go for it.

Now, i took a little bit of a risk as the gentleman selling it doesnt know anything about it, he runs a second hand shop and must have just came across it at some point so couldnt give much details, although he said its brand new and hadnt been opened before.

Im new to all this (first scope) but it looked ok to me, and going by the pictures it looks similar to a tel-1, he did say its from 1999 and russian.

Im just wondering if anyone had one of these and can give some pointers - any issues with the scope etc?

Bought a collimator and moon filter to go with it, im think a 13 year old scope might need collimated :)

If it is a Tal-1 the new ones seen to come with a couple lenses and barlow, hopefully this one does too.

The mount looks sturdy, think it couple hold something bigger?

What do you guys think?

cheers! :rolleyes:

20120731_082213.jpg20120731_084439.jpg

20120731_082123.jpg

Yes I am similarly cursed with rather pants luck with bargain hunting and that is an excellent price.

Unfortunately you don't win the bargain of the month award. That award goes to Ivan T who bagged a William Optics Megrez 80 II for just £80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is amazing luck :p

(See the thread -I believe I may have stumbled across a bargain- on this forum and be amazed (and envious)

Yup, a TAL-1 and no mistake. 110 Earth quidses is a good price for a spanking new (old stock) one I reckon, they resell at that price quite often. I have 2 and yes, you'll want to keep it I think....

Here's one of mine, set up for web-cam imaging:

DSCF7005.jpg

As you can see, it was rather chilly that night.

And this, I believe, it the image that I caught at the time (manual tracking):

JUPITER02_12_20109_17_30PMhigainprocessed-1.png

Archived