NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Fermanagh

binkyspoon

Hello everyone

I've just recently bought my first telescope - a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT - and i'm wondering how hard it is to get into astrophotography. i'd like to be able to take pictures of planets, nebulae etc but i'm unsure if i can connect any digital camera to my telescope ( i have a Samsung PL201 digital camera), as any t-adaptors / t-rings i've come across seem to only be for Nikon and Canon cameras.

I'm new to all this so please excuse my ignorance :)

Happy stargazing everyone :)

Graham

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the lounge from Lisburn :-)

I don't know about your specific camera and scope but it might be worth asking the question of the guys at First Light Optics, if they don't stock the item you need they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Ivan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Graham and welcome to SGL, it would be helpful if you know the the thread size of the PL 201, try a company like Baader Planetarium, they produce many adapters to fit a lot of popular cameras and threads. If shove comes to push you could have one made. I believe FLO have someone on their books that could help, as they gave me his details, but I am afraid I cannot locate it at this moment in time, however, going down this route is going to be a tad expensive. Enjoy your new scope :)

John.

HI Graham and welcome to the forum. I would certainly recommend getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) to give you a very comprehensive overview of what kit you need and why you need it to create good consistent images that will meet your expectations. Your scope from memory is sat on an Alt-Azimuth style mount which is not suitable to use when imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebula. These mounts track objects in a 'stepped' arc across the sky which is invisible when observing but unfortunately will show up when imaging.

You will of course be able to image solar system objects such as the moon and planets but rather than use a camera taking single shots (problematic due to turbulent earth's atmosphere) the preferred method is use a cheap webcam. Here you will be able to take a huge number of exposures very quickly from which you discard the poor 'frames', leaving the good ones to stack on top of each other using a free bit of software called 'Registax' to help you construct a final composite image. The light from the planets and the moon are so bright that there is no need for the longer exposures associated with DSO objects, which in turn requires an expensive accurate mount to track those targets accurately during that period. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Archived