Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good evening

geoffers1

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd say hello and that my telescope arrived in the post today!! I bought a Celestron 130EQ MD. It's stood in the lounge and I'm now being confused by the manual. Happy times! Geoff in Bournemouth :rolleyes:

HI Geoff and welcome to the forum. It would seem that most manuals do their best to confuse us but please don't hesitate to ask any questions about how to set your kit up given that we are experiencing some good weather at the moment. We've all made silly mistakes, be it putting the finder on the wrong way round or taking end covers of the optics etc so you're in good company! :grin: :grin:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

HI Geoff and welcome to the forum. It would seem that most manuals do their best to confuse us but please don't hesitate to ask any questions about how to set your kit up given that we are experiencing some good weather at the moment. We've all made silly mistakes, be it putting the finder on the wrong way round or taking end covers of the optics etc so you're in good company! :grin: :grin:

Amen to that, I ended up using youtube instead of the manual for my EQ5 mount.

Welcome to the forum Geoff. Hope the clear skies continue for you.

Welcome to SGL Geoff, if you need any help there's a good few of us on here with the 130EQ MD, myself included. I'm sure we'd all throw on a hand if needed :-)

Thanks for the warm welcome. As for doing silly things, well I have to admit I did mount the scope itself the wrong way round on the mount and took about an hour to realise what I'd done wrong. Didn't manage to get it out last night, but I'm hoping to at least have a look at the moon tonight. Then at the weekend I'll try and set everything up properly. I've not aligned the red point yet, nor have I figured out how to properly align the eq mount. But that can wait, I need to see something through it first!

What a muppet. I took the scope out in the garden last night till about midnight. I tried to align the star finder but realised that without contact lenses in I was only going to focus on one thing or another, red point or star. Lesson learned there I think. So I decided to skip that and just see if I could look at the moon (I needed to see something through it LOL).

Firstly, I used the 20mm upright eyepiece that came with it, but all I could see was a half moon shape of light through it, the rest was pitch black (no it wasn't the moon either). I gave up with that thinking it was my bad eyesight or a faulty eyepiece. So I put in the 10mm eyepiece and I could see a full circle of light! The moon was not high enough above my house to see it, so I thought what the heck, look at a star, see if I can focus etc. No joy. Midnight. I packed up.

Just now I was bored at work so I thought I'd search around YouTube. Well, blow me. The guy in the video didn't take the small cap off the front of the scope, he took the whole cover off the scope.

Now there's something I didn't do last night!!

I have a lot to learn I think :huh:

Archived