Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

newbie from Wrexham

bennylee79

Hi everyone,

I've had a passing interest in astronomy since i was little but recently ive decided to take the plunge and buy some equipment to view the heavens for myself. After some advice from a family member from the USA (he works for an agency who, shall we say, specializes in this field) and he recommended starting with some binoculars. So after some research i opted to start with a set of Revelation 15x70 binos and a tripod to set them on. For my reading pleasure i have got Collins 'Stargazing with binoculars' and their 'Astronomy starter pack'. Now i can't wait for a break in the weather so I can use them. I'm happy to get all the advice i can to help me enjoy the stars. Thankyou.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the SGL. Binoculars are always a great way to start and learn your way around the night sky. I imagine it will not be too long before you are craving a bit more aperture and the idea of buying a telescope enters your mind. When that day comes, everyone on the SGL will definitely be happy to offer up advice on which models to consider.

Clear skies,

Matthew

Hi,

I am not too far from you in North Shropshire. Although I have a reasonable size scope I do love the convenience of using my 15x70 binoculars. At the moment it doesn't get dark until 11.00 but I enjoyed viewing M13 and M92 in Hercules just a few nights ago. Hope you clear nights ahead of you.

Pete

Cheers for the offer Faulksy, I'll probably take you up on the offer at some point. How do you find the skies by us? What should I expect to see?

quite a lot. good place to go is by the pondorosa cafe in llangolen.or head for the snowdonia hills great up there very dark with no light pollution

Archived