Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Who moved the cheese!

Some of you may remember March was an embarrassing month for us. Suffice to say staff shortage, unusually high demand and a lack of stock at our suppliers created a 'perfect storm' that exposed a number of weaknesses in our systems and communications. We promised we would learn from the situation. Since then we have moved to larger premises and employed another member of staff. We have also made a number of changes to the way we work, all intended to improve order updates and communications. Hopefully you will have noticed an improvement.

We are about to make some changes to our website. Some of the changes will be experimental so you might notice buttons appearing, changing colour and moving around the page. You might also see new categories, changes to existing categories and some subtle changes to page layouts. It will feel a little disorientating at first, similar to when Sainsburys moves the cheese to a different isle, but the changes should make it easier for you to navigate the website, check stock availability and to contact us so we think it worthwhile.

Apologies in advance for the inconvenience and thank-you for your patience :smiley:

Steve

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Luck Steve... I have to say that I do like Cheese and would be very upset if I couldn't find it :(

"You can't beat a nice bit of wensleydale Grommit!" :grommit:

(I have been looking for an opportunity to use that smiley :grin:)

Some of the changes will be experimental so you might notice buttons appearing, changing colour and moving around the page.

While I'm on it? Don't you think that sort of animation is a bit... :cool: flashy?

Could you imagine ordering a scope, it comes with free cheese, then you're not in for delivery, so it goes to the fed ex depot. It's a few days before you can pick it up... the cheese has "matured" into something sentient... the horror.

Could be packed in a cooled container, should be okay for a trip to the Fedex depot. Go for a hard cheese, they keep better. I like the idea of a cooled container, could be handy to cool my DSLR for LX work.

Mind a delivery of cheese and crackers would be more useful than a scope up here, it hasn't stopped raining for weeks and a clear skiy is a distant memory.

FLO said:

We are about to make some changes to our website. Some of the changes will be experimental so you might notice buttons appearing, changing colour and moving around the page. You might also see new categories, changes to existing categories and some subtle changes to page layouts. It will feel a little disorientating at first, similar to when Sainsburys moves the cheese to a different isle, but the changes should make it easier for you to navigate the website, check stock availability and to contact us so we think it worthwhile.

Now we all know that supermarkets move things around only to make us look at more things, instead of getting into a routine and spending less.

Perhaps a different analogy would have been better?

Then again the cheese comments have made very good reading.

Good luck with the changes. Though for what it's worth I have found the current site easy to use.

Now we all know that supermarkets move things around only to make us look at more things, instead of getting into a routine and spending less.

Perhaps a different analogy would have been better?

Good point, it probably wasn't the best analogy. The changes to categorys will be subtle and are intended to make it easier to find things. For example, most people struggle to find the Skywatcher Guidescope Mount because it is hidden away in the 'Misc' section. We will probably change 'Mounts / Motors' to 'Mounts / Accessories' then put it there, or something similar.

While I'm on it? Don't you think that sort of animation is a bit... :cool: flashy?

There will not be any animations :smiley:

What I meant to say was it might take us a few attempts before we settle on the best style, colour and position of the new buttons so you might find they change and move position over the coming days.

Whatever we do will be subtle. There will be a number of relatively small enhancements, not a total redesign. You probably won't notice some of them.

HTH,

Steve

Hi,

A day without cheese is like a day without any observing, just filler between the good bits. I always make sure Mrs DrRobin keeps the fridge well stocked due to all the cloud we seem to get. Trouble is she keeps moving it about and I now I have 'fridge blindness' something that only seems to affect the Male at middle age onwards.

Could I just make the observation that "ADM guidescope..." and "HitecAstro" are the only two categories in the Accessories section that refer to the manufacturers of things rather than the things themselves...

Archived