Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher HEQ5 v HEQ5 Syntrek v HEQ5 PRO

Just a quick reminder of the differences between the three versions of this popular Skywatcher mount :smiley:

Skywatcher HEQ5 features built-in motors, a polarscope and manual handset. Best suited to visual astronomy.

HEQ5_thumb.jpg

Skywatcher HEQ5 Syntrek features higher quality stepper motors, a new mother-board and ST-4 autoguiding port for astrophotography.

skywatcher_heq5_syntrek_thumb.jpg

Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO is a HEQ5 Syntrek but supplied with a Synscan GOTO handset, not the manual handset.

PROHEQ5_thumb.jpg

The regular HEQ5 can be upgraded to full PRO spec using the optional Synscan PRO GOTO Upgrade kit.

If you plug a Synscan GOTO handset into a HEQ5 Syntrek it becomes a HEQ5 PRO.

The Syntrek and PRO models can be controlled via a laptop using the popular EQMOD software.

Hope that helps.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

The AZ handset will work with the EQ mount provided that you also reflash it with the latest firmware (V3.30.29). The firmware is not an official release as yet but is available on the Skywatcher website http://www.skywatche...s1=1&class2=101 . The firmware combines the AZ and EQ firmwares into one file and allows you to use the same handset for both types of mounts. The firmware detects the type of mount it is connected to and loads the appropriate alignment routine on start-up. To use your handset on the EQ mount you will need to purchase a CAT5 network cable.

The AZ handset will work with the EQ mount provided that you also reflash it with the latest firmware (V3.30.29). The firmware is not an official release as yet but is available on the Skywatcher website http://www.skywatche...s1=1&class2=101 . The firmware combines the AZ and EQ firmwares into one file and allows you to use the same handset for both types of mounts. The firmware detects the type of mount it is connected to and loads the appropriate alignment routine on start-up. To use your handset on the EQ mount you will need to purchase a CAT5 network cable.

Thanks for the answer, its good to know as will save me a few pouunds :-)

Cheers

If you plug a Synscan GOTO handset into a HEQ5 Syntrek it becomes a HEQ5 PRO.

Yikes!!!.....Thats interesting, I was going to upgrade in the New Year from an EQ5 Pro to an HEQ5 PRO, didn't realise that you only had to add the handset (which I already have) to an HEQ5 Syntrek to make it a Pro, I would have bought the full Pro version, now I can save £125 and just buy the Syntreck version!!!.......problem is, can I sell on an EQ5 Pro without the handset??.... :huh:

Has the standard HEQ5 got an ST-4 for autoguiding :huh: , Isn't the Syntrek version now discontinued?

No, the regular HEQ5 doersn't have an ST-4 port, you need the Syntrek or PRO for that. The Syntrek has not been discontinued (the regular HEQ5 was but was reintroduced about a year later due to popular demand).

HTH,

Steve :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a new HEQ5 Syntrek, since I use EQMOD I felt no need for the GoTo handset. Also as I have a NEQ6 Pro with its handset gathering dust in a box, I naively thought that I could always use that handset with the HEQ. Not so- the connection to the mount is completely different (why do they do that?).

My issue are that

1. the polarscope illumination is set too high- if I had the handset I could turn it down, but alas...

2. How do I check/ update firmware on the mount? I gather if I did have the latest firmware, EQASCOMs 'Polardimmer.exe' would allow me to turn down the brightness without a handset, but it doesn't work at present. It's a little odd if it doesn't have the latest firmware, as it's new as of Sept 12.

If I don't get a solution I'll try and borrow a handset from someone nearby ;)

Well

The connection is different Danielle, sadly :(

I have both mounts and use the same hand controller with both of them, the only difference is the cable that connects the controller to the mount, the NEQ6 has a 9 pin "D" type the HEQ5 has a rj45. just buy or make a cable. :glasses9:

After using EQMOD, whats a handset??????

Indeed. Comes in handy when you want to turn down the polarscope illumination tho :lol:

Thanks guys- you were spot on. I dug out an old network cable and it worked a treat. Interestingly the illumination is 100% out of the box, but as soon as I plugged in my handset it reset to a level approx 38%.

Next time I setup (of these clouds ever go) I will retry EQASCOMs polardimmer.exe and see if it works now.

Ta!

Hi,

Not sure whether I've asked this before (Not been around for as while), but what is the loading limit of an HEQ5 Syntrek?

I'm trying to get my old 8" f/8 back into operation, but as it stands it's 11.7 Kg with a huge moment arm.

I'll replace the standard puck with an ADPM Losmady version to get a good grip, but how light do I need to make the structure?

Thanks for that.

So if I replace my home-built "Battleship construction" focusing "sledge" that masses 2.7 Kg, with a Moonlight feathertouch I should get the mass down to 10 Kg or so, perhaps lower.

I'll be doing visual I expect, lunar, planetary and such star clusters that aren't washed out by London's LP.

Means I won't have to re-build it immediately, I can leave that for another project :smiley:

Archived