NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using a Skyliner 200P Dob whilst wearing glasses? Advice needed...

I'm on the verge of ordering my first scope from FLO (Skyliner 200P Dob) after weeks of reading reviews, surfing these forums and e-mailing Martin at FLO with endless questions. I was on the verge of hitting the 'buy' button when I realised an important detail: I'm very short sighted and wear glasses all the time (I also use contact lenses for work but just putting a pair in for observing isn't economical). As a complete beginner I've been using Celestron bins for observing (cloud permitting) and these have fold down rubber eyepieces specifically for glasses wearers.

So, are any people out there using the above scope with specs and if so, how are you getting on?

Thanks.

Hi

You need to watch eye relief on eyepieces to ensure they have enough to be able to use them with specs on. That is of coarse if you intend to wear the specs whilst observing. Some people remove specs whilst others choose to keep them on I guess that's a personal thing that you'll work out yourself which your happiest doing.

Because the scope has its own focuser you should have no problems observing without specs on.

To observe comfortably whilst wearing specs you may need about 15mm - 20mm of eye relief minimum, although not being a spec wearer I might be a little out with this figure.

I prefer to take my glasses off and either tread on them or sit on them.

My optician tells me to keep them on as they are thinned to help astigmatism. However they're a nuiscance. I tried those dangley ropes, but they swung the glasses onto the scope.

I usually just raise them up into the hair, this failed when I had a hedgecut. Mainly, I take them off and put them on the EP tray. Then pop them on to look through the finder scope or Telrad.

It's a devil when you can't find them in the dark though.

Nick.

i yo-yo between wearing my spex when i use the scope and not. i find taking them off more comfortable on the whole, but then i can't use the rdf, so i sometimes leave them on. it's also better if you're showing other people things through the scope, since you don't have to refocus.

if you want to take your glasses off, then you'll be fine - the focus on the telescope can be adjusted to correct for myopia. but like others have said, if you want to keep your glasses on, you need long eye relief. i found the bst explorers didn't have quite enough, at least for my frames. the celestron x-cel lxs do though, this is what i use most now. great eps.

I don't need glasses as yet, but my wife does. She finds it varies for her with which eyepiece I have in the scope. Generally she prefers to keep the glasses on though, so I'm always on the look out for longer eye-relief eps so she can get as much enjoyment from the scope.

I always wear my glasses except for using my scope. I just find they are a pain (and quite frankly I only use my glasses so I can see through both of my eyes, obviously not a problem when you are looking through one eye). The scope should be able to adjust with focus to your eyes, because focus does one of the jobs that glasses does. My OH doesn't need her glasses to see through my scope, and she needs glasses on to see anything normally.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it, see if you can go to a local shop or astro club just to be sure though :).

I take my varifocal glasses off for viewing, but I keep a pair of cheap reading glasses on a cord so that I can read stuff. Then the cord gets tangled, or the legs get stuck going under my woolly hat, etc. Real nuisance. If I wouldn't look like a poseur I'd contemplate a monocle like Sir Patrick.

More seriously, is there an astronomy society/club near enough that you could ask if you could have a look through different kit?

Allan

I am short sighted (although not that badly) although I cannot drive without glasses and cannot see the sky with uncorrected eyes.

I prefer to observe without glasses though although I found it irritating to switch constantly between glasses on and glasses off.

I therefore went for contacts and have never looked back - I use the ones that you put in for 30 days, sleep in them and where them constantly then throw them away after the month and put the next lot in. they are really great to use and once you get used to them it's like not wearing any.

If you need to wear your glasses then as suggested eyepieces with eye relief over 15mm would be better and the more eye relief the better up to about 25mm.

I wear specs and as 4lefts says above find the Celestron X-cel LX's no problem if I leave my specs on with a good improvement in view too. The rubber cups stop any scratching or damage if you get too close to the eyepiece. The ones that come with the 200p are ok though and have little fold up rubber rings that help protect your glasses too.

The straight through finder is more of a challenge with glasses as you need to get your head lined up behind it which can be very difficult when you are pointing straight up! I swapped for a right angled one which is perfect at any angle and my neck thanks me every time use it.

I do take them off sometimes (despite a mild astigmatism) and refocus to my very short sighted eyes, usually when looking at something faint and I'm trying everything to squeeze the last bit of detail out. It makes no difference of course but it feels like I'm reeeealllly trying!

I'm very short sighted; can't see beyond three foot from my face and have astigmatism. I keep my glasses on to view the Moon, but take them off to view the planets and everything else. Can't wear contacts because of the astigmatism, so its either glasses on or off. Long relief eyepieces are a must either the cheaper Skywatcher, or the better Celestron X-Cel.

I can see what I can see, and if I miss something the misses is always there to point it out. :evil:

As all are saying it's the Eye pieces not the scope that you have to take care with what you buy so go ahead and get the 200 Dob.

I have to waer glasses due to astigmatism, even though it is more comfprtable without. I have found the supplied EP's OK and then I would say look for at least 18mm eye relif on any EP's you choose to buy as upgrades.

That figure depends on how thick the lenses in your glasses are - if they are thin you may get away with less, if you need very thick lenses it may be more. The advantage of dealing with FLO is their 30 day returns policy, so I'm sure they would let you return one that didn't work for you and get another instead.

Short sighted here too, I either leave my contacts in for a session or if I haven't been wearing them that day, I remove them at the eyepiece, certainly doesn't affect the view.

Archived