Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SXV - H9.... Plug and Pray

Advice req'd please.... I can't get an SXV-H9 to install.

I've just acquired a very good condition SXV-H9. The older version - not the 'R'. Still a USB2 (as far as I can tell).

Doesn't have the original CD with it so I downloaded the driver from the SX website.

(I'm running a standard laptop with Vista Home Premium (SP2) with USB2).

After unzipping the driver files into a (new) folder on my 'C' drive I plugged the camera in (without power) and pointed the installer at the driver directory and...

An error message mentioning "Echo2" device. Repeated several times - nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Also (when I get the camera running...), what's better Astro Art or Nebulosity? I was using a DSI II with Envisage previously. Although I might still be if i can't get this camera to work!

Are all cameras like this to install? Any help appreciated.

Regards

Tony

I echo (sorry ) the above

but just to let you know I have never been able to get my 9 to work with the supplied software on my laptop XP home

works with with Astro Art and Maxim

Tony, have you tried going through Device Manager, find the yellow triangle against "Echo 2", right click and update driver; then point it at your driver file.

I don't know why, but going this way round worked for me rather than trying to force it from the other direction.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try the Driver fix.

Everything else failed - so I read the manuals... This Driver issue seems common.

The SXV-H9 is my dream camera - right image scale, etc and I don't have a big budget so it's cost me a 'a lot'.

So when I have to get involved in 'configuration' at Driver level and I get advice telling me to edit the PC's Registry I get a little worried.

I'm reasonably intelligent (or so it's rumoured) but this stuff is not my forte.

I'm certainly going to try the Yahoo group. Thanks.

Rgds

T

It's quite often like this, especially when not running the camera in its own software, which is best in principle but not with Starlight Xpress! You will get there.

Nebulosity and AstroArt are OK, though I detest the screen stretch of incoming images in Nebulosity because it is so hard to make anything out without a long faff with the black and white points. Other than that I quite like it and use it on Yves' SX H36.

I greatly prefer Artemis Capture but that's not an option here and is personal anyway.

Olly

Thanks for the views.

You were all right about the Yahoo group for SX. The problem I have is repeated and very current.

Older product vs newer operating system software.

I have a headache after reading the topic chain but at least I have hope.

Regards

Tony

• 11 months later...

That'll be Terry Platt.....don't think he'd appreciate being Terry Pratt :rolleyes:

Just drop him a line...he'll be straight on it and most likely send you the driver(s) needed. He's a top bloke and will always help.

Get off Vista! It's the worst OS that Microsoft ever released! Windows 7 is good. Windows 8 ...... forget it!

But Vista sucks a big one! As someone memorably said "Vista flogs your hardware like a dominatrix who has forgotten the safe word!"

Made me laugh! But it is true! Vista is a badly flawed OS.

Cheers

Ian (IT Professional)

Get off Vista! It's the worst OS that Microsoft ever released! Windows 7 is good. Windows 8 ...... forget it!

But Vista sucks a big one! As someone memorably said "Vista flogs your hardware like a dominatrix who has forgotten the safe word!"

Made me laugh! But it is true! Vista is a badly flawed OS.

Cheers

Ian (IT Professional)

Glad to read this, Ian. I just went to some trouble to buy a new Win 7 machine because I feared Win 8 would land me in a mess akin to Vista. As you know, I'm the Manuel of IT. 'I know Nothing!'

Olly

Glad to read this, Ian. I just went to some trouble to buy a new Win 7 machine because I feared Win 8 would land me in a mess akin to Vista. As you know, I'm the Manuel of IT. 'I know Nothing!'

Olly

I'm actually considering buying a couple more win 7 machines to keep me going for a while until MS come up with win 9, which will probably be okay........XP-good....Vista-horrid.....Win7-good.....win8-horrid.....win9-?

I run my recently acquired H9 (older version) on vista no problems. It didn't start out that way though, as I had real issues installing it. The installation is certainly not straightforward.

I use Sequence Generator Pro (the free version) for capturing. I find it almost as easy to use as Artemis Capture, I say almost as I had to watch one tutorial on youtube to figure it out but after that it is very straightforward and has a lot of very useful functionality and also connects straight to the H9, no fuss.

That'll be Terry Platt.....don't think he'd appreciate being Terry Pratt :rolleyes:

Just drop him a line...he'll be straight on it and most likely send you the driver(s) needed. He's a top bloke and will always help.

OOPS!!!! Yep you are correct ------ Sorry Terry, a bit of Dyslexxxiaa!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived