Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crescent In Ha.

davew

After the short comparison between DSS and Maxim stacking in the review section I've attached the final ( ish ) image of the Crescent Neb.

50 bias and 15 flats used. I normally use more flats but I managed to loose some ! Dithered and SD mask stacking.

11 x 900 Ha through a 250mm camera lens and an 8300 chip.

post-493-0-52666400-1338927545_thumb.jpg

Thanks Martin and John.

After playing about so much with the stacking it gave me the kick I needed to push on with it.

I forgot to mention the lens was set at f4. It helps no end !

Dave.

Thanks Fay. You still get smoother backgrounds than me :cool: You have that rather nice 180mm lens which you could use with the Atik.

Hi Euan. It's a Hasselblad 250 f4 FE lens. Look up the price on Ebay and you'll pass out. Luckily I found one in good condition at a much more reasonable price. I think it was mistaken for a much older F lens ! My very good fortune although I was looking for over a year. I believe the 300mm Pentax 6 x 7 lens gives a similar result.

Dave.

To show the centre detail I cropped it. If you look carefully you can see the soap bubble. Just.

Medium format lenses were all the rage recently but have fallen out of favour again. I've no idea why.

Dave.

post-493-0-65841400-1338975154_thumb.jpg

It's a Hasselblad 250 f4 FE lens. Look up the price on Ebay and you'll pass out

Although you could get a big scope for that price, if you get results like that then why would you bother?

Excuse the butchering of your image, Dave (which is, by the way, beautiful), but for those interested I've marked where the Soap Bubble is located. Once you know where to look, it's clear as day in this image.

Thanks for your messages. Mono isn't everyone's cup of tea but there are obviously enough of us.

Fatwoul. Thanks for that. It's something I should have done. Always feel free to amend as you see fit.

Just one thing I should add about that lens, in case anyone else spots one at a bargain price. It's not APO so beware the OSC imagers.

Dave.

[ I guess I'll have to try a longer lens myself, this was my widefield HA of the same region. ]

That's a beautiful image Mel. I seem to miss some of these so must look more often. You've given me an idea for a post. First up your 50mm. Then I have both a 180mm and this 250mm shot. What we need is a volunteer to provide a Mono close up of the Crescent itself.

I think four in a row would look good and show what's available at different FOVs.

Dave.

Archived