SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cygnus HA 50mm widefield

Widefield shot of Cygnus through a hydrogen alpha filter, shot at the Rollright Stones last night at a Chipping Norton Amateur Astronomy Group observing evening.

A fantastic evening, we had eight scopes and two Astrotracs on the go, I also shot a time lapse but that will take a little longer to process.

Modded Canon 550D with a zuiko 50mm lens mounted on the astrotrac, this is a stack of 31 frames of 5 minute exposures at 800 iso all processing done in Photoshop.

Mel

Link to full size image

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7075/7273255046_38ecd15b36_o.jpg

7273255046_1fed2d8e9c_h.jpg

Outrageously good. Just look at the Crescent hanging suspended in space. I'm always banging on about the advantage of mono for Ha but this is going to make me go quiet for a while!

Truly a masterly widefield.

Between the NAN and the bottom left hand corner of the image is a nebula consisting of two snaky bands either side of a bright star, which I think is 75 Cygni.

It's a little smaller than the NAN but I can't see it on SkyMap. Do you know if it has a name? I reckon it needs attention from telescopes, whatever it is.

Olly

Thank Olly, I feel I'm starting to get the hang of using the Ha CLS clip filter I think the key is the Photoshop Raw file conversion before stacking.

As to the nebula in the bottom left hand corner I'm afraid I have no idea.

Cheers Mel

Between the NAN and the bottom left hand corner of the image is a nebula consisting of two snaky bands either side of a bright star, which I think is 75 Cygni.

It's a little smaller than the NAN but I can't see it on SkyMap. Do you know if it has a name? I reckon it needs attention from telescopes, whatever it is.

Olly

Well spotted Olly, this clearly needs more attention by imagers - I guess it's just too close to other 'juicier' targets.

I checked my widefield colour version of this area and it can also be seen- so it's not that faint.

DSCF3179_stack_003_SQUINT_GAMMA.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived