Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pass it on scheme

FLO

Fantastic idea Steve but to offer free collection-delivery is, in my view, beyond the call. I for one would consider that a small price to pay for the opportunity of having this scope available to me. Just my view on a very, very generous offer.

Gary

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear what you are saying Gary but whereas it's a small matter for FLO to send City Link to collect/deliver, it can be expensive and time consuming for someone without an account.

Besides, it's a sponsor thing :D

I'll leave the Tax implications to FLO's accountant 8)

Some 'late night ideas' turn out to be great and this could be one of them! :)

I have an unused Bresser 70mm refractor up in the loft,including a diagonal (and a couple of eyepieces somewhere :D), that you would be welcome to use in the scheme. Might be useful as a 'trial tool' for an absolute beginner who would like to try astronomy but can't afford a scope at present.

Cheers

CW

Steve

I think this is a very generous idea.

As a possible addition maybe some of the more experienced observers could be be available to meet up and help the beginners set up etc.

I have found myself doing this with some inexperienced observers at the local Astro soc.

Thsi would be on a case by case adhoc basis.

Just a thought

Cheers

Ian

I have some Celestron Plossls that I don't need and some old OU stuff, if you want to include that Steve...

And a swirly star thing...planisphere or something. :D

I have a copy of Starry Night (Boxed and unregistered.)

And just before Daz get's too excited the C11 CPC GPS stays under lock and key with the 2 gundogs chained to it..

And I sleep with the SN10 under my pillow...You can try and prise that one from my dead cold hand..But another dog lives in the house.. 8)

There's a spare alluminium tripod around here somewhere.. :)

Great idea Steve. Damo gave me a Tal1 which really got me up and running. I've loaned it to a friend now. I think it should be an eq mount though cos it's all about learning what's involved. If someone can't be bothered to get to grips with aligning a mount, RA and dec then they don't deserve the loan of the scope.

What we could do is just put a crate together...

The SGL Starter Crate..

Scope

Finder

Mount

Sky Chart

Software

"How To" Guide.

A "U" damage you pay disclaimer

And pass it on when you've finished...

One thing is a must...

"You Must Post Your Findings and Has It Been Useful to you.."

Great idea Steve. Damo gave me a Tal1 which really got me up and running. I've loaned it to a friend now. I think it should be an eq mount though cos it's all about learning what's involved. If someone can't be bothered to get to grips with aligning a mount, RA and dec then they don't deserve the loan of the scope.

And if they can't be bothered with darks and flats then they ...

I'll get my coat.

BTW could we have a "send stuff you don't want to FLO for the newbies" possibly?

Kaptain Klevtsov

As it goes, you could have the two EP's and the diagonal that's coming with the 'thingy' boys. I was only going to sling them up on Ebay for a couple of quid, but I'd rather see them go to some good use...

Tony..

I think it should be an eq mount though cos it's all about learning what's involved. If someone can't be bothered to get to grips with aligning a mount, RA and dec then they don't deserve the loan of the scope.

I'm not sure I agree, lets just get people looking up at the sky first.....? How does RA and dec work with a fork mount? :D

This is a superb idea, really hope I can help in some way!

Perhaps the thing to do is wait until after Kelling when we test lots of beginners scope and use those results to plan what scopes go out for people to borrow?

I think it should be an eq mount though cos it's all about learning what's involved. If someone can't be bothered to get to grips with aligning a mount, RA and dec then they don't deserve the loan of the scope.

I'm not sure I agree, lets just get people looking up the sky first.....? How does RA and dec work with a fork mount? :D

Spot on is that! 8) Let the Moon and stars grab their interest..........let the apprenticeship start later.

CW

Good point, I'd forgotten about the group-test at Kelling.

For the purpose of the 'pass it forward' scheme, I guess a refractor will be the easiest to use and to transport. And a 4" aperture should be enough for most back-garden observing, at least initially. Perhaps a Celestron C4-R would be a good choice.

Good point, I'd forgotten about the group-test at Kelling.

For the purpose of the 'pass it forward' scheme, I guess a refractor will be the easiest to use and to transport. And a 4" aperture should be enough for most back-garden observing, at least initially. Perhaps a Celestron C4-R would be a good choice.

What about a TAL 100RS? I'd wager it'd take more punishment than that Celestron anyday, no mount though as standard :D.

Tony..

Nope - just a good marketing move. The lucky people who benefit from the offer are hardly likely to look elsewhere other than FLO afterward once they buy their own equipment :D

Thats a cynical way to look at it. At worst beginners will be getting to try out a decent scope with no strings attached, I wish the option had been open to me when I was starting out.

Probably a tax fiddle Gary!!

Nope - just a good marketing move. The lucky people who benefit from the offer are hardly likely to look elsewhere other than FLO afterward once they buy their own equipment :D

I'm glad you mentioned that :) Inevitably there is a publicity element to sponsoring such a scheme, astronomy is FLO's business, but I like to think there is more to it than that.

The unspoken truth is that astronomy is in decline. Part of the problem, I think, is that too many dealers believe that the simple act of placing a run of ads in the astro mags entitles them to a living. It doesn't! If they continue to take with no thought towards contributing, it'll continue to decline. I want FLO to be different, to be where its at, here, on SGL and at astro events, discussing, promoting and encouraging astronomy. If all I did was fly over the forum dropping links and an occasional comment, I wouldn't deserve to be here.

Thats a cynical way to look at it. At worst beginners will be getting to try out a decent scope with no strings attached, I wish the option had been open to me when I was starting out.

Not meant to be cynical, just a reasoned observation! Astronomy is certainly in decline as an interest amongst youngsters, like so many other sciences, and any way to encourage an interest is to be welcomed. I guess I am just a bit wary of direct marketing on public forums and the ethics of that, FLO are certainly very prolific on this forum you have to admit!

Deepsky, if you have a read of First Lights history (http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=14983.0) you will see Steve started off on the forum as a moderator long before he setup FLO so naturally FLO and SGL are very connected.

I for one would much rather see Steve spend his advertising budget on helping beginners get started than magazine adverts :D

OK, having read that link I can see the connection now. I did not realise the link between FLO and the forum started prior to FLO setting up as a shop. I agree that spending the magazine advertising cash on getting new people interested in the subject would be an admirable way forward.

I guess I am just a bit wary of direct marketing on public forums and the ethics of that

Its funny you should say that Deepsky.. BECAUSE........

If memory serves me correctly FLO's marketing and prolific involvement within SGL got you

a £50 discount last week.

Don't tell me You're still waiting on the catch...... :D

I can be cynical at times myself but i wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth like you just did.

I think an apology to FLO is in order.....

Archived