Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pass it on scheme

FLO

I have been thinking :idea1:

I have a 4" short-tube refractor, a Helios 102, very similar to THIS on a Skywatcher EQ2 mount. I would be happy to make it available to an SGL member starting astronomy on a pass it on basis. That is they can use it free of charge, with no obligation, for six months. Then, they pass it on to another SGL member in the same situation (I will arrange free collection-delivery). The next owner passes it on after six months, and the next, and so on...

It's a nice scope that will provide wonderful wide-field views.

If the pass it on idea is accepted and is successful, FLO will make at least one other scope available, every year.

I think it could work, and might prevent some people wasting money?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks chaps :D

Lets face it, most of us started out with the wrong scope - I know I did!

I'm sure I can also find a couple of plossls, a Moon filter and perhaps a book or some software to round off the package.

I confess the idea has only just popped into my head so if anyone has suggestions - I'm all ears.

Does it have to be on a EQ2, maybe a AZ3 would be better? Its easier for beginners and cheaper to post on (no counterweight)?

If you want some free stuff to throw in I've got a few Plossls and a copy of Starry Night Enthusiast I don't use....just give me a shout.

Does it have to be on a EQ2, maybe a AZ3 would be better? Its easier for beginners and cheaper to post on (no counterweight)?

Good point - I can do an AZ3 :D

If you want some free stuff to throw in I've got a few Plossls and a copy of Starry Night Enthusiast I don't use....just give me a shout.

:thumbright:

That's a great idea Steve.

And yes, im already on my 3rd scope since i started a few weeks back, but my impulsiveness to blame :D

Fortunately, the first 2 weren't expensive, and im quite happy with my CG-5 GT and 6" SC OTA at the moment.

In some wayws, its rial and error, and a learning curve. For me anyway.

Just erring on the side of caution, I would ask that recipients sign up with FLO to replace anything that they damage (fair wear and tear accepted) or lose/break.

It is, however, a GREAT idea!! I'm sure I have some books or stuff I can donate :)

I'll keep track of this little project, and when the Takahashi's start coming round.............. :D

I do agree that it's a great idea.

All participants need to agree to the replacement scheme though.

I also think that we should insist on a photo with each "owner", we can have a history of the scope then!

Ant

We can have a thread especially for it, so people can see where it is.

Steve - how are you going to handle the waiting list? It could be several years long in a short space of time!!!

Just erring on the side of caution, I would ask that recipients sign up with FLO to replace anything that they damage (fair wear and tear accepted) or lose/break.

I see your point Daz/Ant but I'm not too worried. In my experience, an interest in astronomy generally indicates that someone is likeable and trustworthy so I'm happy for FLO to repair/replace as/when necessary. I doubt we would see more than 10% of the scopes being broken or lost and FLO can stand that. I would also like those who might not be able to cover the cost of replacement to be able to participate. I'll be guided by ADMIN though.

I'll keep track of this little project, and when the Takahashi's start coming round.............. :D

I wish :)

Maybe reduce the time to three months... Or less if they then decide to buy a scope in the mean time!

Three months might be good for starters, perhaps increase it later when there are more scopes.

Steve - how are you going to handle the waiting list? It could be several years long in a short space of time!!!

If the scheme really takes off, I will talk to the manufacturers/importers and suggest that they contribute. But its early days yet and they would want publicity. Probably easier for now to be independent and build the number of scopes up to about six .. ish?

I think three months is probably plenty enough time for a complete novice to have a good few sessions and a good impression of the hobby - even considering the crumby British weather. Is it worth thinking of a list of 'essential info' that a newbie might require to help get them started? I'm no expert, but I'm happy to spend a few hours making up some primers, if people think that might help?

Cheers,

Chris

A 'getting started' primer is a good idea. A while back we had a competition where members posted their 'top tips for beginners'. I'm sure that could be edited/pulled into a primer. I really ought to write one for FLO's website.

Had best point out that this thread began as a 'proposal'. It was also started late at night when I was buzzing with caffeine! I really ought to have consulted ADMIN first as the 'pass it forward scheme' would only be available through SGL, and to SGL members only :D

Yeah you're right, you should. We can be suitably placated with a rummage through Aunties stores though!! :D

No, seriously, it is another generous offer from FLO and we can only see it benefiting newcomers into our hobby. The details need to be thrashed out properly, along with any documentation written, but I think we are very happy for this go forward.

We can chat about it over a leisurely apple juice at the weekend :)

Archived