NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Albuq, NM, USA

70x7

Hey there

im from Albuquerque, New Mexico in the US.

I just got my first "real" telescope the other day, a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT. I'll admit, it looks fantastic sitting in the corner of my living room, but Im having a little trouble using it. Took it out last night and really couldnt see anything. A few stars seemed to be a little closer, but thats about it. When I locked on Saturn, I couldnt see a thing, likewise with the other 2 planets in the sky at the time (Venus and Mars...I did read that those arent to be expected as very clear though.) The moon wasnt in the sky as the eclipse is happening today so its on the flip side..

Im chocking some of this up to user error, high expectations, and just an unfamiliar use of this scope, but I honestly did hope to see more.

I will read up and do homework on this as I am not giving up!

With that said, I hope to learn from you all!

thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to the Lounge. Sorry to hear that your outing with the scope didn't amount to much, but telescopes are the easiest thing to come to grips with and there is much to learn. Also, as you say, stars can be disappointing, a point of light will still be a point of light, but splitting double stars can be an interesting pastime, and the various colours can be interesting also. Keep at it and good luck in the future.:)

Hi, welcome! Perhaps you were not pointed at Saturn, or if you were, perhaps you were not using enough magnification. What eyepiece did you try?

maybe i wasnt... I did have some issues with my auto align tonight. It did seem to be off a little

however I did see a cresent Venus which was pretty cool but that was as good as I got. :)

I used both the 9mm and 25mm eyepieces

Archived