Hello from Chattanooga, Tennessee

guntervent

Hello all , Newbie here looking to get advice on my first real telescope purchase...I took an astronomy class in college a long time ago and the only thing I remember is the measure of an AU lol.Looking to spend maybe 500.00 on a real telescope and get into the hobby again with the family...we are looking forward to going to star parties and making great friends along the way.Any advice is very appreciated and welcomed. Glad i stumbled on to the forum here it is really well laid out . Thanks!!!

Charlie AKA guntervent:hello2:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Charlie and welcome to SGL, thank you for the nice comment, we think SGL here in the UK is very good as well. If you don`t get much response to your inquiry, try re-posting in the Beginners Help and advice section where you will attract a bigger cross section of forum members :clouds2:

John.

Hi Charlie and welcome to the forum. As mentioned above, the best response you will receive to your question regarding which scope to buy, will be better placed over on the Beginners Help and Advice Section. As well as this section, there is of course a number of 'stickies' to look at as well as using the 'Search' button which sits at the top of the page to access past questions and responses. In general, the dobsonian Newtonian type scope represents the best value for money per inch of aperture because it is a no thrills type scope (simple finder, no goto or tracking motor) where most of the money has gone in to the mirror including the dobsonian mount, which is the most intuitive to use straight from the box.

Clear skies for now

James

Archived