Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are your observing plans for tonight ?

Jim-a

Given that tonight looks like it may be the first clear night for ages for those of us in the UK, I'd love to know what people are planning to look at.

Being a complete noob I'm planning on starting with Saturn (and a chance at last to give my first eyepiece purchase (a 9mm GSO) a proper go). I'm also hoping to give a modded asda cam a try-out as well.

Once the neighbours lights are out then I thought I'd crack my globular cluster virginity and attempt to find M3.

So what's everyone else aiming for?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will look at anything. I'll be glad to get my scope out as it has been gathering dust for the last 4 weeks. I'm wishing the day away already.

Tonight Matthew I shall be....mainly testing out my xbox cam mod and playing around with some new filters I've bought. I live in quite a light polluted area so I'll see what I can find to look at, I'm sure there's something to find up there. :clouds2:

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

First thing I'm doing is fine-tuning my new right-angled finder on my 200P Dob.

All I've had to line it up in daylight is a distant tree, but when it's windy it makes it difficult to keep it in the middle of the eyepiece :clouds2:

I am going to try and find m81 and m82 and image those. If I can't find those easily I will get the webcams out and try to get some good Saturns hopefully starting with a x2 barlow or x3 if the conditions allow.

I'm going to try out my new baader aspheric which has been gathering dust and also the levelling dob base I made before going out with the s wales group tomorrow 2 nights start gazing who'd have believed it lol:eek:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Tonight will be first light for my new (secondhand) equinox 80; I haven't seen Saturn since December! the weather has been so bad and I've been too busy to stay up late to catch it from my location, so I'm excited :clouds2:

I'll also give M81 and M82 a go and see what else I can find with it.

I won't be holding my breath, binoculars only for me I think.

Same as this really. Even with clear skies the seeing isnt going to be much good with this much moisture kicking around, it'll probably be quite windy too.

I have 2 things on my agenda.

1) I hope to do a little open and globular cluster spotting. See if I can see anything new for this season.

2) Apparently the lights in my area now switch off at midnight, so I want to be out there when that happens to appreciate the impact it has on the sky/seeing.

I'm aiming to finish off my galaxy hunt in Coma Berenices and Virgo, I've got 11 Messiers to find in that area and I think this will be my last chance this year.

Planning to chill out and do some sketching tomorrow night, probably some globular clusters in Ophiuchus.

Apart from that I have a new EP to try and it will be the first time at a dark site for my 'new' scope. :clouds2:

I'm aiming for anything I can possibly get to see! I stil haven't had the opportunity to see saturn as it always seems to be stuck in the wrong direction behind the house (As I have to set the telescope up at a certain location in the garden to lessen the impact of a street light).

So, I have only a narrow-ish field of view so on my list for tonight and tomorrow are:

Saturn

M104

M48

M67

M64

M94

M51

and if I'm up late enough then M81 and M82.

A lot of those might be quite difficult to see fully due to the conditions, but I'm the eternal optimist! lol

Install the Telrad 2" riser that came in the post this morning.

Reaquaint myself with the 'scope after our 4 week trial separation :clouds2:

Make sure I can still star hop to M81 / M82

May have a crack at imaging Saturn with my as-yet untested Lifecam

Have a look for the Whirlpool Galaxy if conditions are good

Install the Telrad 2" riser that came in the post this morning.

Reaquaint myself with the 'scope after our 4 week trial separation :clouds2:

Make sure I can still star hop to M81 / M82

May have a crack at imaging Saturn with my as-yet untested Lifecam

Have a look for the Whirlpool Galaxy if conditions are good

Doing the same with M81 and M82 and a telrad :-) They were both straight above me last time and very akward to look at and difficult to find.

M51 will be difficult if you have any LP as it's pretty dim.

Well, if the sky is dark enough and I can remember which end of the telescope to look through, I might get out there for the first time in donkey's years and go nebula hunting...

Difficult choice I would like to do some imaging and get more subs for M51 since this is what I'm imaging at the moment (well it was last time I could image). But since it's not getting dark and I don't have astronomical darkness here anymore I may go for some other targets.

But now that we are all getting excited and talking about it being clear it will be cloudy. :clouds2:

Tonight I'm planning to get first light on my Quattro. But don't have everything set up yet to busy busy trying to get it colimated and running with the pc got too many things to work on like byeos but damn t mount has not arrived neither has moon filter so that's out too or I'll burn my eyes out on a 10"

Sent from tapatalk

Given that tonight looks like it may be the first clear night for ages for those of us in the UK, I'd love to know what people are planning to look at.

Being a complete noob I'm planning on starting with Saturn (and a chance at last to give my first eyepiece purchase (a 9mm GSO) a proper go).

I have a new Vixen NPL 8mm to try so Saturn is my first stop too :icon_scratch:

Explore the Coma cluster. Touched on it a month ago (last obs :clouds2:) and really want to get back in there!

I'm not likely to find any galaxies around there with my scope, but looked at this area for the first time about the same time as you did it seems, and would like to get back there too :rolleyes:

Thanks to someone's suggestion above I'll have a go at M3 while I'm there I think.

Then if time allows I'll probably look at M44 and try for M67.

Finish work at 8, out for tapas and wine, then home. Probably head out around 2am. Evening is promised to be dry and warm (34º).

In the city so will be limited to brighter objects. Will try to see:

Moon, Mars & Saturn.

M44, M67, M3.

A look around Scorpius and Leo and a little M hunting or star splitting therein.

Archived