Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Evostar Pro 80ED has arrived.

Earl

Well im now a member of the club :clouds2:

Im still awaiting the feathertouch adapter for it, but as thats from the US it might take a week or two.

The supplied dovetail is now on the top, I have a William Optic losmandy on the underside, ADM rings and mini dovetail clamps (note the mini dovetail clamps fit fine on an upside down vixen dovetail).

Ill update this when the Feathertouch is installed :icon_scratch:

post-19346-133877772325_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got one of the ADM guide ring sets for my ST80 as well Earl. Was rummaging around earlier for suitable bolts to clamp it to the top of my ED80 but couldn't find any. What size did you find worked for you?

Welcome to the club :clouds2:

I have a feeling this will be your most used telescope. Snap with the guiderings too, I have exactly the same!

Im just wondering why you didnt get the transmission upgrade from Modern Astronomy, it's only 59 quid and you would have had it the next day.

Welcome to the club :icon_scratch:

I have a feeling this will be your most used telescope. Snap with the guiderings too, I have exactly the same!

Im just wondering why you didnt get the transmission upgrade from Modern Astronomy, it's only 59 quid and you would have had it thennext day.

Possibly because no amount of fettling can make that focuser decent? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I did similar to Earl and got a Moonlite on mine. Had half an hour with the stock focuser before I took it off and put it in the box never to darken my mount again :clouds2:

I toyed with the idea of ugrading the whole focuser too, but I'm nowhere near brave enough to perform the operation :clouds2:

Brave? It's a no brainer honest.

Three screws (old one off)

Three screws (new one on)

I've got one of the ADM guide ring sets for my ST80 as well Earl. Was rummaging around earlier for suitable bolts to clamp it to the top of my ED80 but couldn't find any. What size did you find worked for you?

I have a bag of odds and sods which i rummaged until i found one that fitted, I used the camera mount screw for the other, just added a few washers as it s a touch to long without.

Welcome aboard Earl, it's a great scope.

The standard focuser gets a lot of bad press, but it took me ten minutes and a set of Allen keys to get mine spot on. I can hang the dedicated flattener and a Canon 7D off it, aim at the zenith and it holds focus all night.

I think the problem is most come from the factory simply put together rather than setup. I've never received a brand new Skywatcher product, be it a scope or a mount, that doesn't need something tightening up and tuned.

Anyway, moot point Earl if you are Feathering it :clouds2:

Cheers

Ian

Hmm... that focusser is different to the one fitted on the ED80 I got just over a year ago. Is that a single speed? Thought they still came with crayfords. I added the motor focuser & it never slips.. hardly ever need to adjust it with the 1000D hanging off the back. I did have to collimate it with the lens cell but thats all it's needed in the past year.

Very pleased with it. Been thinking of getting another for a side by side dual imaging setup too.

Hmm... that focusser is different to the one fitted on the ED80 .

Yes, Teleskop Service in Germany sell these delivered for £277.00, as I intended from the get go to replace the focuser anyway its the best option to get the scope.

Yes, Teleskop Service in Germany sell these delivered for £277.00, as I intended from the get go to replace the focuser anyway its the best option to get the scope.

Wow that's tempting... I don't understand why they discontinued the OTA here. Almost half the price of the £460 for the DS-Pro ED80 kit!

How long did you have to wait for it?

Looks like it was ordered and delivered within 2 days. That must have been with German Post can see UPS getting it to GB first time without sending it around the world a few times.

Edit: No I'm wrong that was Daniel's ordered 2 days ago.

:clouds2:

TS are excellent. I've never had anything take longer than 2 days. Ever.

Apart from the odd EP or part, I'm now using TS simply because they always deliver. And with no fuss, no it's on back order, or other excuse.

My 80ED from the FLO Billy bargain clearance is out for delivery today too! I just hope that the diagonal is included too for the clear skies tonight and tomorrow!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

My 80ED from the FLO Billy bargain clearance is out for delivery today too! I just hope that the diagonal is included too for the clear skies tonight and tomorrow!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Did you order one seperately? If not I think you're out of luck there based on what was posted in the clearance thread :clouds2:

These evostars are moving fast! TS must be wondering what's going on :clouds2:

For that price it was soo tempting (and still is) but I've gone and picked up an Equinox 80 on uk astro buy/sell, I'll be unboxing it tonight, and the forecast is clear skies !

Archived