Hello

Cableguy

Been reading the forums for a while, so firstly thanks to many of you for posting up lots of useful information for those of us that know nothing or very little.

I'm just about to purchase my first scope after many years interest in astronomy and space in general (bit of a Mercury/Gemini/Apollo geek) and also recently coming into some unexpected cash ;)

Current favourite is looking like a Skywatcher 150PDS (small enough to store easily and the DS version to hopefully take some images with an existing Canon 40D SLR at some point in the future) on an EQ5 Pro Goto mount, so if anyone has any comments/suggestions on whether that's a decent setup they'd be much appreciated.

Cableguy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL.

I think you might get away with the EQ5 Pro for imaging with the 150, but if your budget will stretch that far then the HEQ5 Pro would be a safer bet.

James

Welcome to SGL.

I think you might get away with the EQ5 Pro for imaging with the 150, but if your budget will stretch that far then the HEQ5 Pro would be a safer bet.

James

Thanks James, I think the HEQ5 Pro is probably out of my league just for now (the betting gods weren't quite that generous!). I think the standard HEQ5 might have been an option (not actually to worried about the Goto) but my understanding is that they discontinued it recently and you can only now get the Pro version?

Hello Cableguy and welcome to SGL!! If you post your scope/mount question in "Beginners help and advice" you will get quite a good response and folk will help you to make up your mind (We love spending other peoples money here!)

Hi Cableguy and welcome to SGL.

If you're thinking of imaging with an Eq5 goto then have a look at the CG5 -GT. The celestron software is better to use and has a much bigger library of objects, it has bearings in both RA and Dec so has a higher payload (12.5 kg) and comes with a 2" tripod which is steadier (EQ5 is 1.75"). It's only about 50 pounds more expensive than the EQ5 pro goto. Check it out on FLO's website.

Luke

Hi Cableguy and welcome to the lounge from another gazer who remembers the Mercury, Gemini and the Apollo flights.

I wasn't born until it was all over...in some ways that's unfortunate...in other ways not ;)

Welcome aboard matey! Good to see you on here... ;)

Will have to pop round and see your scope when you get it...

(me and Cableguy used to be work colleagues, back in the good old days!)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Archived