Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M11 + M13 + M27 + M31 + M45 + M57 + M81-M82 + NGC869

Grant

Well after a fantastic hour or so observing visually, everyone else went to bed and I cracked on with some imaging... all using my dads 6" Helios Refractor (short-tube F5) and canon 350d... I managed to go through a ton of subjects, it was a very long but rewarding night!!!

All images are 10x45s, with lights, darks and bias frames stacked in deep sky stacker, tweaked in photoshop with Noels actions...

NGC869 - Double Cluster

897_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

M81 & M82

895_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

896_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Really chuffed with these, I've never seen/got the dust clouds before :)

M57

894_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

M45

893_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

First time I've got any blue on this one :(

M27

890_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

891_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

M31

892_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I struggled with the processing on this one, I think it was a little too close to the moon when I captured it so alot has been washed out...

M13

888_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

889_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

M11

886_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

887_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

This one lost slightly in a fight with a street lamp, looked good visually though!

As always, if anybody wants to have a play please do, if you would like the raws, just let me know and I will upload them. Haven't uploaded them already because theres loads and it would take all day!!

Cheers,

Grant (a very happy chappy!!)

Nice collection Grant :(

I know whqat you mean about M31 being washed out.I have nearly 45 mins data on this from last night and i am really struggling to get any detail :?

If it stays nice tonight i might point the scope westwards instead and see what i can find.

very nice indeed Grant , you are getting the hang of this imaging very quick , just a point on those , looks like some vignetting with that scope ,otherwise super stuff , yes well to be honest i would,nt even try the galaxies whilst any hint of the moon are about , with such faint dust lanes other than the core it will be hard to get a good image , best let tha moon go and go for it then, i tried m101 last night had it beautiful , but the outer limbs and background was totally washed out and thats with the moon well away ,

Rog

You have had a busy night Grant, and we are enjoying the fruits of it. They are a super set of images of a wide selection of targets.

I wouldn't dare make a choice, they're all brilliant.

Thanks for them.

Ron. :(

Thanks for the comments everybody :(

I was definitely on a mission last night, it was the best night for absolutely ages, saw two shooting stars as well :)

The only trouble was, Saturday morning I was up before 8 to go to Greenwich Observatory for the day! So then staying out until 6ish in the morning was a bit of a stretch!

The reason for hitting so many targets was being out so long and not having a guide camera yet so my exposures are limited. I also wanted to give my dads scope a little run for its money so I could show him what its capable of :lol:

Could the viginetting be caused because last night, I was using my 1" 1/4 t-thread adaptor? Usually I use a 2" adaptor and I've not noticed viginetting through any of my other scopes? Could the 1" 1/4 adaptor be a bit to small for the dslr?

If I'm talking rubbish, feel free to hit me upside the head :(

Nope, no barlow, just the dslr prime focus.... I was very pleased with the scale!

The moon shots taken in the other thread I posted did use a barlow and eyepiece to get the magnification...

Great images... and what a set you got there!

For vignetting I use Gaussian Blur then subtract it from the original image using arithmatic option in Paintshop Pro. It Work's a treat at making nice even dark backgrounds.

Vega

Archived