Hello From SE England

skyhigh

Hello All,

Just joined the forum and looking to buy my first reflector telescope.The Skywatcher dobsonian reflector telescope looks to be an excellent scope, deciding as to which size to go for appears to a be common question.

I googled the question which pointed me to this website,where there was an excellent discussion thread on the subject. Not able to find it now having joined the forum.

Either the 254mm (10") or the 203mm (8") both telescopes look ideal.

Interested in Astronomy,Weather, Aviation & Photography to name a few.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum!

The biggest you will comfortably use is the best scope for you! Often said on here, the best scope is one that you will use the most.

:hello2:

Hi Guy's, many thanks for the warm welcome.

Have been looking on YouTube at the Skywatcher 250 px it's quite a beast as mentioned.

A brief search on this forum and the net suggests it's very good value for money and delivers excellent results.

Will spend time over the weekend researching before I make the purchase.

Hi

A warm welcome to the SGL, looking though a 10" scope is great as long as you can move it around Q, will you keep it in a shed or in the house , remembering if in the house you will have to carry it out each time, are you going to take it to a dark site?

if so is your car big enough ? if you can run it out of a large shed then it will not matter too much as long as you are fit :-)

let us all know what you decide

clear skies

Doug

Hi and welcome to you.. I use my 8inch skywatcher 200p all the time its not too bad to mover around as well and if i want to shoot off in the car its pretty easy to pack up and go out with dont think I could cope with a 10inch model but it would be nice to have it set up on pier.

Thank you very much for all the replies

I'm steering towards 250PX now.The scope will live in the house where I have easy access to the rear garden patio area.Thankfully light pollution is not an issue.

Research tells me that I'm going to need a collimation device in order calibrate the primary and secondary mirrors to ensure optimum performance.(Recommendations welcome)

I'm not new to optics as such, but just very new to the reflector telescope design.

Just a question of finding the best deal as the difference in price between two dealers I've seen was over £50.

Could someone just advise as to where the signature option is please, have been looking where I think it should be and cannot find it anywhere.

Hi Skyhigh and welcome to SGL, if you go to the the header bar you will see control panel, if you click on that and scroll down all will be revealed for you to place your signature and avatar ;)

John.

Archived