SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pier and roll off cover, mostly pics

Petrol

Looking forward to the video.

I still don't want to take over the garden & this is an idea compromise .........

The roll off will be heated to prevent condensation. I will fit a wireless RH & temp gauge and use this website for optimum / least cost setting.

http://www.dpcalc.org/

I'm guessing around 10C should do it. The better the insulation, the less it will cost to heat. Another good reason for a small unit :)

This is the insulation I have chosen for the roof and walls.

118.jpg

It's higher density than the stuff I used under the floor and less likely to be damaged. It can also be cut with a jigsaw.

119.jpg

Best bet is not to force the saw. Let the blade cut and this is the result

120.jpg

About half done with the insulation

121.jpg

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will heating it not increase cool down times though ??

It will but I can always switch it off the day before if there’s even a hint of clear skies. I have also thought of opening the door and using a fan to reduce cool down times. The only reason I’m heating it to prevent any damp or condensation forming on the kit.

The door is quite wide - 1.2M which was creating an awful lot of leverage on the hinge side of the roll off. As a result the whole frame was twisting so I had to beef things up a bit

123.jpg

Double thickness brace here

124.jpg

Also tied into the roof purlins (I think that's what they are called but I know little about roofing)

125.jpg

This made the frame rigid so on went the door. Note the 60 X 40mm thick timber for support at the hinge end, and the lightweight roofing battens at the other to reduce the load

126.jpg

Roof insulation fitted

127.jpg

Pic inside

128.jpg

Thanks for looking

Pete

Door had to be in one, double doors were not an option. It's sorted now. I'll post a vid up when I get chance. The guidescope is just attached to the bottom of the 200P scope rings. I can post a pic up if you want.

The roof covering on any roll off is a difficult choice. It has to be lightweight, capable of withstanding flexture, last and look good. Roof tiles are probably the longest lasting roofing solution but they don't interlock properly. This would result in tiles moving. They are also very heavy, typically 50kg / Sq M. Think I have found the ideal solution. These are Envirotile interlocking roof tiles. They weigh in at 9Kg / Sq M

130.jpg

They lock together like this

131.jpg

132.jpg

The rows also lock together offering a maximum strength. The result is that they won't move with vibration

133.jpg

First job was to cover the roof with breathable under felt

129.jpg

Then lay the tiles. Since they lock together it's easy. I have never tiled a roof before

134.jpg

The result :(

135.jpg

Very nice :( I used special rubber roofing for mine from "Rubber4Roofs" - lightweight very strong, long lasting (they say 50yrs), and very easy to fit. It's also flexible and won't crack unlike roofing felt. But your tiles look like a good solution too :)

That's a good point. There is a minimum slope required. One advantage of the rubber sheeting is that it's suitable for flat roofs. My warm room roof has a slope of just two degrees (effectively a flat roof) - the roll off section has an apex roof of 10 degrees.slope.

Just picking up on your efforts to prevent condensation by heating.

You could go an awful long way by fitting a bathroom humidity controlled fan.

Derek

The guidescope is just attached to the bottom of the 200P scope rings. I can post a pic up if you want

If its not too much trouble a photo would be great, I don't like the idea of using the mounts opposite the dovetail as it shifts the center of gravity further from the mount head. I am looking for other ways of mounting guiders etc.

Yes Spaceboy, 10 degrees

Thanks rfdesigner, I will look into a humidity controlled fan

Hope this helps Auntystatic. I did this to lower the c of g and reduce the height of the roll off

010.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, looks like I am on the right track (no pun intended) with it then but it's not been the easiest thing I've ever built. I guess the fully hinged door made it more of a challenge. To be honest, I thought I would have to get some steel in there to make it rigid enough. Steel is heavy though and would put extra load on the rollers. The timber diagonal braces to the roof sorted it though.

I'm not the best with words so here are some more pics :(

All wired up and fitted the scope for a trial run

Connector panel

137.jpg

138.jpg

136.jpg

Thanks for looking and much more to follow

Pete

Archived