Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Glasgow

Compo

Hi Folks,

Whilst attending the "Sun over the Botanics" meeting in Glasgow today (what a friendly group they are), one of the members at the meeting (Frank) said that the Stargazers Lounge is an excellent source of information for people who are interested in astronomy. So I thought I'd register and soak up the collected wisdom of the participants at the SGL.

I've always been an armchair astronomer but I now feel the 'call of the wild' so I'm planning to break out my trusty pair of bins (as Frank called them) and point them skyward.

Compo

P.S. Thanks for the info on how to post Grant.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi was there as well found the guys excellent and was lucky to get 3-4 shots at the scope's [i have an ext meade 90 and saw 1 was in use there as well so going to get a solar filter for it [was well impressed ]

ps welcome to the forum

ps there is also a group from central scotland here scottishastronomers.com

Hi Evertone. I have just reistered wit this site. I had been puzzled recently as on several nights at or about 21.30 I could see a bright ball of light, I assumed it to be the Strathclyde Police Helicopter as it is quite a common site out here in the Wishaw area of Lanarkshire. However as it continued to appear on successive night I paid closer attention to it, I came to the conclusion that it had to be either an alien visitor or a large very bright star. Then logic told me it had to be a planet. I manageed to witness it moving through the sky for about 45 minutes. When I googled it I came up with the link to your site. Coule it be Saturn?

As you will have guessed I am a complete novice to this and never imagined one could dee a planet with the naked eye. Unfortunately tonight is vety cloudy so I am not hopeful of any sighting tonight.

Hi Evertone. I have just reistered wit this site. I had been puzzled recently as on several nights at or about 21.30 I could see a bright ball of light, I assumed it to be the Strathclyde Police Helicopter as it is quite a common site out here in the Wishaw area of Lanarkshire. However as it continued to appear on successive night I paid closer attention to it, I came to the conclusion that it had to be either an alien visitor or a large very bright star. Then logic told me it had to be a planet. I manageed to witness it moving through the sky for about 45 minutes. When I googled it I came up with the link to your site. Coule it be Saturn?

As you will have guessed I am a complete novice to this and never imagined one could dee a planet with the naked eye. Unfortunately tonight is vety cloudy so I am not hopeful of any sighting tonight.

hi its probably the iss [international space station [check heavensabove .com ]it will let you know but the iss has been very bright going from the west to the east or if in the west sky it's venus realy bright [i thought you meant it was moving [as the iss does]

ps you should get stellarium for the pc [it's a free software program that will show you what is in the sky at any time day/night where you live

hi Jim, welcome to sgl

Archived