NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 5000 Xtreme 100 degree eyepieces

John

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a nice review (I really like Terence Dickinson's writing) but it does not include these latest eyepieces from Meade.

The 5000 series includes the "standard" super plossls at 60 degrees, the super wide angles at 68 degrees, the ultra wide angles at 82 degrees and now, seemingly, these 100 degree "Xtreme" eyepieces.

I came across these on a CN thread, and people there seems to believe these came from the same factory as the Orion Giant View / Zhumell 100 deg.

Meade Instruments Corporation - Telescope Accessories, Eyepieces & Eyepiece Sets, Series 5000 Xtreme Wide Angle (100 degree AFOV)

PS, it looks like Meade designer gave up on aesthetic. These extreme wide are without a doubt the most ugly Series 5000 eyepieces

Maybe it is the ugly duckling that grows in to a beautiful swan ? Oh no hang on that's WO :)

True it is one dam ugly EP but with the etho setting the bench mark for 100's to compete against TV you would have to offer some thing a little different. ES have there offering which is cheaper so what does that leave Meade.... Weight??? Is it possible the Meade looks so bad due to trying to save on weight?? Anyone know how much they weigh compared to the competition??

Hi John

at the bottom of the page of Terence Dickinson's writing it has a date of 2005 bit old now me thinks

One thing I have did notice was that you all where afraid of dropping these heavy eyepieces in cold weather ,on this Meade it does look like a good hand grip the only other thing is 9 pieces of glass seems alot but would like to try one

Hi John

at the bottom of the page of Terence Dickinson's writing it has a date of 2005 bit old now me thinks....

Yes I noticed that when I read the review but I was being polite to the person who posted the link :)

TeleVue do all the hard work and then others rip off their ideas because EPs are almost unpatentable. Do you ever recall a bad TV product? Do you ever recall a bad Meade product? Ah, you do? So do I.

Buy a nice Ethos.

Olly

• 3 months later...

I am also a bit of a Meade fan and Whilst yes they aint pretty I'd be more concerned about the performance than esthetics. After all don't all EP's look similar in the dark? :grin:

Ps. If anyone has got any of these offensively ugly EP's that they cannot bear to look at or through and the embarressment of owning them is getting too much I will happily take take them in to my 'Rob's home for unloved EP's' Where we never put a healthy EP down :laugh:

I agree that looks are not really important but I can't see the point in paying more than the ES equivalents for something which is almost certainly the same optically and does look worse to boot.

I tend to agree with Shane and Olly though, if you are going to spend £400+ on an eyepiece, get the best there is :smiley:

I agree that looks are not really important but I can't see the point in paying more than the ES equivalents for something which is almost certainly the same optically and does look worse to boot.

I tend to agree with Shane and Olly though, if you are going to spend £400+ on an eyepiece, get the best there is :smiley:

Good point - They are most probably very similar/identical to the equivelant ES EP's and if/when I ever get several hundred pounds to spend on an EP I will probably go straight to the TV section. I am a bit of a Meade fan but I am also unashamedly in love with Televue. They just have so much quality! :p

You could always order one through Smart Astronomy in the US. The 14mm works out at £270 delivered and Vic is very sparing with the value on the import ticket. Worst case scenario is £330 if you did get clobbered. Saving £200 on the 13mm Ethos. But it could be a 50% saving. The 9mm is £70 cheaper.

Archived