Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Dorset

Kevin C

Hello from Dorset :)

Just a quick hello from me. I have been lurking around for a few months now and have just joined today (It didn't hurt!)

I've been interested in astronomy for many years and have a pretty good knowledge of the sky using my eyes and a pair of binoculars.

I've been thinking of getting a scope for some time but could never make my mind up what I wanted. I am mainly interested in DSO's/Nebula and widefield viewing so went for a Newtonian Reflector.

Hopefully I have made the right choice, a Celestron Omni XLT150 on the CG-4 mount.

I'm currently going through the trauma of chosing additional eyepieces!

All I need now are some clear skies :D

Kevin

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum. The dilemma of eyepieces - a tricky one really as the decision is mainly dictated by budget but also what you want your eyepiece to do, better contrast or a wider field of view etc. Another realisation will be that the advantage gained will not be in proportion to the extra cost incurred, it just depends on how much you want that 'extra' bit of performance. The decision of whether to buy is further compounded by the fact that it's not something you can look through in the shop such as a camera, as you are not sure how it will work with your particular optics. One way round that is to join a local astro society or observing club (not always the same thing) and try out some of the eyepieces that your fellow observers are using (have to ask nicely:D) during an observation session. The eyepieces that came with the scope won't be bad performers, not like the jam jars that used to come with scopes of the past. They will be good enough for now until you decide what you need. The Barlows that often come with new scopes are usually the weak link in the observing process and I would certainly recommend the Russian made TAL x2 Barlow here as a modestly priced alternative that you will be able to use on any future scope you upgrade to. Hope that helps.

Clear skies for now and look forward to meeting up again on the forum.

James

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum. The dilemma of eyepieces - a tricky one really as the decision is mainly dictated by budget but also what you want your eyepiece to do, better contrast or a wider field of view etc. Another realisation will be that the advantage gained will not be in proportion to the extra cost incurred, it just depends on how much you want that 'extra' bit of performance. The decision of whether to buy is further compounded by the fact that it's not something you can look through in the shop such as a camera, as you are not sure how it will work with your particular optics. One way round that is to join a local astro society or observing club (not always the same thing) and try out some of the eyepieces that your fellow observers are using (have to ask nicely:D) during an observation session. The eyepieces that came with the scope won't be bad performers, not like the jam jars that used to come with scopes of the past. They will be good enough for now until you decide what you need. The Barlows that often come with new scopes are usually the weak link in the observing process and I would certainly recommend the Russian made TAL x2 Barlow here as a modestly priced alternative that you will be able to use on any future scope you upgrade to. Hope that helps.

Clear skies for now and look forward to meeting up again on the forum.

James

James,

Thank you for the welcome and the advice on eyepieces - I have ordered a TAL 2x Barlow you mentioned already :D.

Kevin

Archived