Meteor shower thingy tonight.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most seem to be coming from the East so I'm pretty sure it's the Lyrids. Saw one more naked eye visible one while out. The photos... all suck. While orange glow was low, there seemed to be just enough thin cloud high up and I can't get contrast on anything.

Post your pics please.

A good twenty minutes spent reclined outside there, and I managed to catch one just as I decided to go back inside for a bit. The sky slowly clouded over during that time, so hopefully it will pass when I next head out.

I must admit I feel a little bit jumpy outside now, as people have been climbing fences into the neighbours' gardens to steal oil. Every noise has me on edge tonight!

What gear do you have out to observe the meteors? All you need is a camera on a fixed tripod and your eyes.

I left everything out but it's just pure cloud now so I've packed the scope away.

I've got my camera at the ready and I'll keep popping out to see the cloud status.

I hope I get to see at least one. I've been looking forward to this for a couple of weeks.:D

Post your pics please.

trailcrop.jpg

Have this quickly (badly) processed crop from a single frame. This one was most interesting since it seemed to change brightness as it went past. Shot taken with 720nm IR filter just to see what happens.

For orientation, the faint fuzzy blob top middle is M101, and the brighter star top right is Alkaid.

trailcrop.jpg

Have this quickly (badly) processed crop from a single frame. This one was most interesting since it seemed to change brightness as it went past. Shot taken with 720nm IR filter just to see what happens.

For orientation, the faint fuzzy blob top middle is M101, and the brighter star top right is Alkaid.

Hard to tell. It could be a meteor or an Iridium flare. Looks more like an Iridium to me.

How long was the exposure?

Been upto the hills of Llangollen tonight with the missus and 2 friends. Very clear skies with very little light pollution. Between us must have seen about 15/20 shooting stars about 4/5 being bright orange with trails. We were out on our chairs from about 11:15 till 1:00 AM and only came home cos we couldn't feel our feet or faces. Even saw a bright one driving home! Got back to Wrexham and there are clouds everywhere. Great few hours viewing though

Hard to tell. It could be a meteor or an Iridium flare. Looks more like an Iridium to me.

How long was the exposure?

That was 2 minutes.

I looked up an Iridium sat position locator. Apparently there was one at 21 Apr 23:09:33 Alt:15° Az:27° (NNE) but my shot was over 10 minutes earlier in a different part of the sky.

I just collected together all the frames that has streaks in them last night. This is far more than I have on any other night!

These two crossed two exposures so I know they're going from left to right as shown in the shot:

c1.jpgc3.jpg

This one crossed two exposures, so I know it's going from right to left as shown in the shot:

b2.jpg

In this image, one of the upper trails was moving down/left. The other two are unknown direction.

b4.jpg

Direction of travel unknown for the following:

c5.jpgc6.jpg

This is the full frame of the one I posted the crop of earlier.

f1.jpg

I saw 2 Good ones Friday night and only 3 poor ones tonight so rubbish show,I must have watched about 20 satalites whizzing over in the time i was looking out.

I've never seen so many satalittes as i did last night. At least 20 in just over 2 hours.

This talk of satellites has made me wonder how many of those streaks in images could be one? How do they look compared to a meteor?

The thing that confused me was I suspect some of those streaks were caused by relatively slow moving objects, whereas the naked eye visible streaks tended to be over in a fraction of a second.

This talk of satellites has made me wonder how many of those streaks in images could be one? How do they look compared to a meteor?

The thing that confused me was I suspect some of those streaks were caused by relatively slow moving objects, whereas the naked eye visible streaks tended to be over in a fraction of a second.

Like the post above says if they appear on more than one sub they will be a satellite. They can move relatively quickly but nowhere near the speed of a meteor and last for aslong as its catching the sun's rays before slowly fading away.

hi guys, by any chance will you be able to see the shower from swindon?

thanks

Hi Steve,

I was watching in Highworth last night and I saw a couple. They came from the Stratton St Margaret direction so they must have passed over your house!!

:D

Archived