NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Checking in....

AuntyCis

Hi all,

Wasnt sure whether to post my hello in the main welcome thread or start a new one.... decided to jump in with a new one!

So my partner and I have been interested in Astronomy for quite a while. I made the typical rookie mistake a coupe of years ago of buying a 'department store' telescope and it was rubbish - Wobbly mount, no instructions, couldnt see a thing with it! Took it back and got a refund and decided to try and do things 'properly'.

Now we have a set of 10 x 50 bins and a tripod - much more useful! We have also been to a couple of local Astro Soc meets and we are starting to learn our way around the sky... thinking we might be ready for a 'real' scope soon :D

Looking forward to getting to know you,

Cis

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Cis and welcome to the forum. As you starting off your astronomy interest with binoculars, thought you might like to take a look at this and this as a way of helping you with some ideas as to what to look for. You might want to consider downloading a free piece of planetarium software called Stellarium, which you can view here. It is easy to use with lots of useful features including an advance date/time feature which will allow you to advance the evening sky to see when objects will be available. It will also help you identify and locate specific objects which will certainly help you improve your knowledge of the night sky and will work well with the other recommended websites. Hope that helps.

Clear skies for now,

James

Archived