NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Would you buy it again?

symesie04

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering we bought a much bigger one not much later I wish we had gone bigger in the first place. It still has it's uses though and is small enough to take up to the top floor of our 3 storey house to get out of the way of next doors security light :D

When I bought my 1st scope the choice was either Tasco or scopes which cost around 3 years paper round money, which was my only income back then :(

So I bought a used 1960's 60mm Tasco refractor for £40 and it kick started me in the hobby which I'm still in 36 years later. So I can't really complain about it and, if I turned the clock back, I'd probably have no option than to make the same purchase.

The choices and value available today are simply amazing to be honest :D

I bought my first scope before I had the benefit of SGLs wisdom :D. My first scope was the 8SE - nice aperture, good optics, easy to set-up, relatively manageable in terms of physical size and a decent all-rounder. I wanted go-to then, but I hardly use it now, as I prefer to manually learn my way around.

I've actually gone for less aperture and gone down the refractor route since then, so knowing what I know now, and what I have learnt on this forum, I might have gone straight for the TAL100RS first time around, and got a decent sized SCT later... .

The celebrated TAL 100RS refractor!! :)

(http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/58003-tal-100rs-review.html)

The star tests are nearly perfect, as good as the Zeiss 12" refractor that I operate at Griffith Observatory :)

(Russian telescopes: 100mm, f/10 achromatic refractor TAL-100R, telescope for amateur astronomy)

The colour contrast...is stunning through this telescope. :p

(Deepsky observing report: Red Necked Emu)

...el mejor refractor acromático de 100mm que ha pasado por mis manos. :(

(http://www.observarelcielo.com/images/stories/elcielo/Sala_de_pruebas/Refractores/tal100rs.pdf)

...the TAL is a revolution, I mean revelation!! ;)

(http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/170440-tal-100rs-first-light-comrades.html)

I can honestly see little advantage in moving up to an Apo model. ;)

(A Little Piece of Russian Magic - Review)

...beautiful piece of kit. :D

(rusoptics.com: day & night vision binoculars, goggles, monoculars, scopes, microscopes, camera lenses, telescopes, illuminators, thermal cameras and other Russian optics...)

...if this was the only scope I could own I would be happy :D(TAL 100RS Review)

I hope I never break or lose my Tal, so that I may avoid the need to ever buy into her charms again.

well my first scope came from santa - a little 2" refractor on a tripod, all metel construction. I made a horrible mistake one day when i noticed some fluff or hair behind the optics. I slowly unscrewed the first section to remove it.....when....when...it Fekin thing turned into a jack-in-the-box - still it was 1971 and only two years since Neil Armstrong and Buzz Lightyear had walked on the moon.....but seriously folks, my next real telescope , well I made a classical error, bought it on the high street (130mm) reflector, and this before asking advice or joining a club. Still got 2 years out of it before making my next considered purchase

My first scope was a present (Tasco 60mm) and while it was capable enough it was limiting but there wasn't much else available at the time 25 years ago. The same price now would net me a 6" dob with accessories.

The first scope I paid for was the 222mm f5.6 Newt on an EQ mount, in 1991. I'd certainly go back and do the same again, but this time with better eyepieces and a much better mount. It was undriven and had so much free play and backlash in it, that it was an achievement that I say anything in it. Oh how I would drool about Plossl eyepieces, and driven mounts...

After dropping out of the hobby for a few years, the ETX70 was a good restarter scope, before I've gone a little crazy now with my 6 scope collection..

Same as a few other people for me. Yes I would, but wish I had saved for a better mount. I still find collimation a pain to be honest but I've had such great views that it's hard to complain. Part and parcel of newts I guess...

That's a tough question. I'd have to say no. It's not that I don't like my telescope. It's brilliant and it gives me some amazing views but I did see a toy telescope with a bigger focal length and primary mirror.

But I've already bought it and I wouldn't trade it for the world! :D

No. I bought a 5" refractor (not an apo) on a manual eq5 mount. As a complete beginner this was a huge scope and far too big a learning curve. I had no idea how to align the mount or find anything in the night sky. Had I had the Internet then maybe I could have found help but really I needed something smaller to get me started like a pair of bins. Or the amazing Nexstar 8 gps which gave me fabulous views at the push of a button!

I would, I still use mine now as a back up for when I don't have my 10" like now when I need a new cable for the goto :). I honestly think that anyone who has a large scope should have a smaller one because there are days when you just want to observe without spending 15 minutes setting up.

Was happy enough with my 114mm - had neither the room nor funds for much else! But in fairness it revealed enough to fire the imagination during viewing. Also the EQ mount helped me get my head firmly around celestial motion. That said, now I've got what I've got there's no looking back :)

Archived