Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Loughbrough

parklife2uk

Hi everyone,

I have been interested in astronomy now for quite a few years, but only recently tried to take it more of a hobby.

After many months of admiring the myriad of images of Andromeda and other galaxies and nebulas online, I have set myself a personal target of producing something similar by the time I'm forty. I've got a few years to go, but I'm on a very limited budget, so as the journey may be expensive I have plenty of time.

I think my constant admiration of the stars finally wore off on the Mrs as she bought me a telescope for my last birthday. I'm just learning how to correctly set up the Astromaster 130EQ, but we've already used it to look at the Moon, which looked spectacular, and Venus.

I will probably be asking plenty of newbie questions, as I have a thirst for knowledge, but I'm looking forward to spending many hours learning how to get that perfect shot of Andromeda (amongst others).

Steve

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,Steve

Welcome to SGL, and the very best of luck with your ambition. And remember - the images you now admire are produced by people who started where you currently are!

A big budget is useful (to say the least :D), but even more useful is knowledge - and this is definitely the place to acquire it!

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Regarding setting up your scope, have you seen

on your travels? I would certainly recommend reading Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) if you are tempted by imaging or the "Dark Art" as it is sometimes referred to. Very comprehensive guide that will tell you everything you need to know to generate good consistent images.

Clear skies

James

Hi Steve and welcome, in joining SGL you have come to one of the best knowledge shops in the UK, if I can use such a phrase, and whats more all advise is free, although the end result may mean you will have to dig into your pocket again, especially where imaging is concerned :D

John.

Hi Steve... & welcome to the forum

Tempted by the dark side of the force already...keep in mind you don't own a 'Hubble' or have the bank balance of a Rothschild.. but, you can still have fun

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Regarding setting up your scope, have you seen
on your travels? I would certainly recommend reading Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) if you are tempted by imaging or the "Dark Art" as it is sometimes referred to. Very comprehensive guide that will tell you everything you need to know to generate good consistent images.

Clear skies

James

Thanks for the link - the last part about balancing the telescope is the part I've 'missed'. I will certainly be checking this soon..

Hi Steve... & welcome to the forum

Tempted by the dark side of the force already...keep in mind you don't own a 'Hubble' or have the bank balance of a Rothschild.. but, you can still have fun

Am I right in thinking that given enough time and patience, I can produce that kind of image with a decent camera, telescope and PC?

Archived