Hello from Berkshire

mrsskefton

Hi, I am 40+ mother of 2 who always had an interest in space but didn't appreciate that I didn't have to be a "nerd" to enjoy stargazing! I went to an event in Reading and am now quite literally hooked. I do not currently have any equipment - well other than my own 2 lovely green eyes that I was born with - however I do intend to get some bino's!

A friend and I have attended a couple of sessions at our local astronomical society on their amateur evenings and hope to attend more. For now I am just enjoying recognising things!

I have to say, as someone who loves all things technical, I have installed a couple of android apps on my phone and stellarium on the pc and love both!

look forward to reading lots, shame I had to do 50 posts to be able to go on buy/sell though - as a beginner I would love to be able to get "decent" second hand reasonably priced equipment but guess that I'll have to find other means. Never mind.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome Mrs S!

Binoculars are probably the best way in to Astronomy: No set up time, a good way to learn the night sky, they are completely portable and less expensive than scopes.

It is very easy to get over excited, blow a load of cash and then think "what do I do next".

Clear skies!

Hi Mrsskefton and welcome to the lounge, I'll second the binoculars as the first equipment you should purchase, you will even be able to see deep sky objects (dso)

The best equipment you can purchase is that which you will use most and bins definately tick that box.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived