Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Big dob / small car

Hi I am new here , so hello

I am sure that this has been debated many times, but I guess I am looking for a extra nudge of reasurrance. Almost all of observing time involves travelling out of Newcastle to darker regions. This is easy with my C8, and I typically drive a small compact hatchback.

I aim to add a 12" apperture scope to my current setup. Truss designs are of course compact, shorter solid tubes - F4's too, however a flextube manual probably provides the best compromise. I have seen one in the fresh and have some statistics, however, it would be good to hear from any flextube 12" users and larger 12" + dob users in general of your methods and experiences in squeezing your pride and joy in a small to average sized car.

regards

Iain

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We used to have a Ford Fiesta (mark V) and it could fit my Skywatcher solid tube 12" dob as long as there were no passengers. I would drop the back seats and wind the passenger seat forwards. The tube would go lengthways behind the pasenger seat and the base would sit nest to it in the boot.

We've since upsized to a Focus estate.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, thanks for that, and I am considereing this, I currently drive a Skoda Fabia, the issue I think is more with the base which may require to swallow up the rear of the car (back seats reclined), and therefore situate the ota, strapped into the front passenger seat (which may also need to be slightly declined, so as not to rub against the roof) needless to say I will be the solo occupant.

Iain

Thanks for the comments, it is beginning to look reasurringly possible, I think I read the thread concerning moonshane's 16" dob fitted into a small family car, but as I recall it involved taking out a passenger seat, which is possibly fine for a planned one off / occasional event, but not really for trips planned at short notice.

Iain

Hi Andrew, thanks for that, and I am considereing this, I currently drive a Skoda Fabia, the issue I think is more with the base which may require to swallow up the rear of the car (back seats reclined), and therefore situate the ota, strapped into the front passenger seat (which may also need to be slightly declined, so as not to rub against the roof) needless to say I will be the solo occupant.

Iain

Your Fabia shouldn't be be narrower than a Fiesta? (I actually have no idea!)

The base of my Dob is 65cm across and the tube is 35cm. If your car's boot is wider than 1m then you're in business. You can also fill the base with other things once it's in the car.

Andrew

Buy the scope first. Then if it doesn't fit in your car.....get a bigger car. Simples.:)

I quite agree - this is what we did.

I recall telling Mrs AWR that it would make going to the garden centre so much easier for her...

Andrew

As Jules says, I can just squeeze my 16" f4 dob into my car, a Rover 214i hatchback, with all my camping gear and previously managed to get a 12" in it with the base. I have to say though that to get the base in my car too, I need to take out the front seat (although I am likely to have a trailer soon). Next time I buy it is likely to be an estate though to save all the 'planning'. I may alternatively eventually make a suitcase truss version for the 16" optics (I am working on a 6" version currently as a practice).

Hi moonshane

That's quite inspiring that you are able to adapt and apply a methodology for transporting a 16" and associated gear, in an ordinary sized car. I appreciate all the comments and, one way or the other, the 12" flex should be a (relative) breeze to pack, in comparison.

I am not adverse to 'creative' thinking into packing an ordinary sized car, I venture to local star parties such as Kielder - complete with wife, daughter, astro and camping gear, when tardis comes to mind.

My wife would like a larger car, but with the cost of fuel, if we can still afford to drive next time we have to replace the vehicle we may be looking at going back to a Micra size.

Iain

My wife would like a larger car, but with the cost of fuel, if we can still afford to drive next time we have to replace the vehicle we may be looking at going back to a Micra size.

Iain

Warning: Getting very off topic! (me, that is, not you)

Engines are getting more efficient (another argument I had to use with Mrs AWR!) My Focus has a diesel engine and is more efficient and greener (less CO2) than my 1.25l fiesta was.

Andrew

SkyQuest 8" fits nicely in my Caterham.

Do remember to take it out for track days.

It completely ruins the collimation.

Heh heh, I bet it does! I didn't expect the Caterham I tried to be comfortable but I wsn't expecting it to hurt!!:)

Olly

I borrowed a motorised 12" flex tube and it just about went in the back of a Skoda Fabia. No issue with the size of the boot space but it was a pain to get the big clumsy base in.

Normally I like itty bitty cars so the Sumarian optics scopes seem very appealing to me.

Hi Hunterbox, thanks for the feedback concerning the fabia, and I concur that 'just about' where on the lines of my own expectations. I am inclined towards the non motorised version, where by the base at least should be a bit lighter to handle.

Iain

One of our guys managed to get Sunderland AS's 16 inch Lightbridge into a Ford Fiesta without any problems. The bottom section of the tube went on the front seat and the truss poles, base and top box went in the back ( with rear seats dropped down.)

...thanks for the feedback concerning the fabia, and I concur that 'just about' where on the lines of my own expectations

Yeah, you should be OK there. Mine's the olderer shape Fabia, by the way. Not sure how the new ones stack up - they look a little smaller from the outside.

There's a decent amount of space for other stuff once you've got the tube in, by the way - it's just an awkward shape. Not sure whether they come like this but my friend had the packaging from his scope glued onto a piece of plywood, which meant that all the cushioning foam was fixed in place, so no chance of one end of the scope slipping off.

Thanks for everyone's correspondence, and some very interesting suggestions, so with a little intuition and considered product design -clearly 12" 16" and even 20" optical instruments can be transported, indicating that the smaller car is up to the job! (just)

Cheers

Iain

Archived