Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello, everyone.

StevenG.

Hello. My name is Steven, and I currently reside in Manahawkin, New Jersey. I have been interested in backyard astronomy since I was probably either eight or nine years old. In addition to that, I have been observing the night sky for several years now.

Since I have been swamped with school work and what not recently, I haven't been outside in several weeks. Hopefully, I will find spare time to relax and enjoy the night sky once again.

Aside from my interest in backyard astronomy in general, I frequently work on traffic signals and traffic signal devices, such as electro-mechanical signal controllers. Just another interest I have as well.

I hope to meet many other enthusiasts on here in the future. As of now, I look foward to participating on here.

Steven G.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What have you been observing with? How bad is your light pollution?

Hello, Mr. Q. It is nice to meet you. My first telescope was a basic refractor telescope (I cannot remember the name of it). It was given to me as a Christmas present when I was most likely eight years old. As I grew older, I eventually purchased my second telescope, which was a slightly advanced refractor telescope that was manufactured by Meade. It wasn't until 2007 that I purchased my third telescope, in which I still use as of present day. It is a Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope. It was manufactured by Meade, and it's the company's model LX-90. Works like a champ, and I have seen many celestial objects in it quite well.

Now, in regards to light pollution, I had originally grew up in the suburbs of the city of New York. So, of course, light pollution was an inevitable problem for me as an amateur astronomer. Although that issue didn't prevent me from observing the night sky there, for that I lived in a fairly dark area that was suitable for stargazing.

In addition to that, I also observed in a dark area that was located at a state park in New Jersey. The area is where the N.J.A.A.A. (New Jersey Amateur Astronomers Association) is located. I was once a member of this association. I had enjoyed many nights in the area. It wasn't until in November of 2009, that I moved from New York to New Jersey. Where I currently reside now is ten times darker than where I am originally from. So, the night sky here is beautiful.

Hi Steven welcome to SGL, traffic signal controllers thats an unusual sort of a stop go hobby lol, I was involved in the wiring up of such lights with electro magnet relays many years ago, for the County club to use to meet International Archery tournament regulations :)

John.

Yes Steven - I know how nice the dark skies of the SW can be. I spent 4 years 30 miles east of Albq, NM and on moonless nights I could see faint shadows from my legs on the tan colored ground caused by the Cygnus and Sagitarius star clouds. But alas, had to move back to the light polluted skies of the NE recently due to the cost of living out there. But it was fun while it lasted.

Archived