Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've owned the TAL 4" achromat refractor and one of their 6" F/8 newtonians. Both were optically excellent and mechanically very solid, if a bit "quirky". I also tried a couple of the TAL Apolar 125mm apochromats which was an interesting experience.

I think dealers are a little wary of handling TAL products though because their quality control during manufacture can be inconsistent, as I found personally with the TAL Apolar's, which came direct from TAL.

There are other Russian brands which are even better than TAL IMHO - Intes and Intes Micro. More expensive too but the quality is a noticeable step up :icon_salut:

I've owned the TAL 4" achromat refractor and one of their 6" F/8 newtonians. Both were optically excellent and mechanically very solid, if a bit "quirky".

I think "quirky" is about right, I think thats why we love em :icon_salut: there is just nothing else like a TAL, I'm not sure I want to own a drone scope. Having said that I read your TAL APO review (of course I did, well written BTW) and I am not sure I would want to part with that much money for a scope that sounds as chancey as that, I never heard a bad word about 100RS, I know the baffling in the 100R was a bit, erhummm, iffy yet folks still sung their praises, they are a cult item.

Soviet jokes aside (comrade) they are very much a working class scope, not everyone out there can afford a Vixen or what have you. Someone in Neil English's book, which all refractor fans should have a copy of BTW) discribed the 100RS as "A high end refractor for those of us on a burger and fries diet" I stopped wanting an expensive scope after I saw this...

I often thought we should, as a forum, in the spirt of solidarity, find this bloke and buy him the biggest dob we could lay our hands on. a proper astronomer he is!

From my perspective my little 3" Tal Alcor knocked spots off my NexStar 4SE ... better viewing experience all round (even with 0.965" EP's) ... and the Alcor is now 20 years old!

Gotta love those TAL's

I can really identify with some of the comments above. After buying my eldest a 76mm celestron 'Firstscope' I got myself a 1994 vintage Tal-1 for £50 off Gumtree. It opened the skies up for me (and the kids, taking turns to balance on a folding chair and look through the EP).

So, I sold a few books and CDs on Amazon and got a Skywatcher 200p OTA (all 'real income' claimed by house, wife, kids, car, etc). I started selling a few more, with an eye on a new-to-me EQ5. The sales dried up. It seems the market for dodgy hippy punk CDs and obscure academic treatises is limited. So, this week when a Tal 2 mount with a newly replaced came up on UKAB&S for £75 I was straight in there. Just waiting to get a couple of c/s 1/4" UNC bolts and away I go! The thing is I'm more excited by the TAL mount than the increased aperture now :) There's something so reassuringly solid and 'honest' about them that really appeals to me.

For those who are interested I believe a review of the TAL 125 R refractor will be going onto the Cloudynights forum in the near future. It's not my review I should add - otherwise I'd post it here !.

You cannot ever knock Tal equipment. Made to last, built by the Soviet military. I sold my TAL 2 mount to Heathenwoods, but would never ever part with my TAL200K 8.5 f/l. Top quality.

For an 8'' the 200K certainly punches way above its weight :D

Archived