Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASTRONOMY not ASTROLOGY_ AAARRGH

iantobach

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worse thing is when your in the dating game, and i always advise any lady (yes i am single btw) of my passion for astronomy. Cos it takes a lot of my time and money

Their next question is "oh, whats my future then"

I wish i just had a pre recording!

Has anyone else ever had some bleep think you can tell their future , becuase you tell them your hobby is astronomy?? annoyeed from devon. :lol: :withstupid: :D

Ohhhh Hoooooo!!!!!

You should pay a visit to Wolves Amigo :p

Large majority of folk I speak to believe that General Relativity is based on the property value fluctuation... Or.... "Is that the Dom Jones".

(slight exaggeration there :lol:)

But yup!!!... Get that loads!!!!

My response is usually something like..... "Nah!!... I prefer to 'see' a couple of million years in the past mate... Easier on the eyes!!!"

Thank God others have this exasperation as well :)

Andy

I encountered a rather hostile astrologer at GCSP this year. She asked me what planet was "rising in Scorpio". I said Jupiter. She said something like, "No, what 'house' is that?" I said, "Oh, you're talking astrology. I'm an astronomer. I prefer science." She got all huffy, so I asked her how many Ophiuchans she knows, since the Sun is in Ophiuchus longer than Scorpius. She stormed off muttering and had no answer I can print. Made me smile.

I encountered a rather hostile astrologer at GCSP this year. She asked me what planet was "rising in Scorpio". I said Jupiter. She said something like, "No, what 'house' is that?" I said, "Oh, you're talking astrology. I'm an astronomer. I prefer science." She got all huffy, so I asked her how many Ophiuchans she knows, since the Sun is in Ophiuchus longer than Scorpius. She stormed off muttering and had no answer I can print. Made me smile.

Hahahahaha :lol:

Tell a Scorpio that they are a Serpent bearer and all hell breaks loose!!!!!

Tell an Astrologer that there are THIRTEEN signs that cross the ecliptic and your then "Ignorant"

Follow this up with "Astrology is based on the way the eclipctic was 2000 years ago!!" and then your a :D

My old man used to say " There are things in life that are beyond our understanding!...... Lets master the things within reach first eh?.. dink "

It is merely a question of quoting Sir Patrick, "One is an exact science, the other a load of bunkum." You get rid of them, and PM gets the blame.

So, Sir Patrick is as diplomatic as I then? :D I was a Park Representative, so I had to be nice and hold back what I really thought. :nono: I showed her Jupiter, anyway.

My friends at work ask me how my astrology is going, just because they know it winds me up no end. I'm a regular at the James Randi site (which you should all visit, by the way) and that kind of nonsense just drives me mental. Since they know it, they try and wind me up with it every time there's a mention of it in the news.

FYI I used to be a photojournalist, and I know for a fact that the astrology column in most small newspapers is actually written by the lowest ranking junior, a sort of punishment and right of passage all in one. I took the pain out of it by writing a little program that basically picked 5 random sentences from a list of dozens and we used them for each of the horoscopes.

I have yet to meet an astrologer who can point out a zodiacal constellation in the sky. I suppose there are some. A friend of mine wanted to get a telescope to see the zodiac. She was a little taken aback when I told her she didn't need one. To this day, I don't think she's actually gone out and tried.

I think the original astrologers must have done some serious astronomy. It takes a bit of doing to calculate what constellation the sun is in. It's not as if you can trace the stars about the sun. They had to come up with the ecliptic, too, and be able to track the planets with their regressions and such. We probably do owe a lot to the original astrologers, 3,000 years ago.

ohh yeah. Many are fake astrologers and they only pretend being good. People have very limited view what the astrology is cos they see they daily horoscopes in magazines, which are really just a joke. These horoscopes are entirely based on the position of the Sun when we were born. This is only small friction of the horoscope.

FYI I used to be a photojournalist, and I know for a fact that the astrology column in most small newspapers is actually written by the lowest ranking junior, a sort of punishment and right of passage all in one.

That has nothing to do with astrology though.

Martin :D

I think we need to work WITH this thing, not against it.

I'm with you with this one! It's very easy to judge astrology without first stdying it. I'm sure that if sceptics had a look in a proper astrology book they would notice that it's something entirely different to what they thought about it before. I think the problem is lack of knowledge about this subject and bad madia influence.

So what you are saying is that Astrology isn't rubbish after all??

If this is the case then why don't you bring the PROOF to the masses rather than sending us out on a fruitless informatuion search..

So what you are saying is that Astrology isn't rubbish after all??

If this is the case then why don't you bring the PROOF to the masses rather than sending us out on a fruitless informatuion search..

Yes, I do not think is rubbish. Astrology was the begining. It is not about bringing proof to the masses but rather finding out yourself. I am not astrologer but I do know that people have very limited view about astrology because they see stupid horoscope in the magazine and they way of thinking about astrology is based on that. Even if someone gave the proof, someone would surely disprove it very quicky. For example there have been many exeriments to proof that telepathy exists, many of which had very very significant results. When the results were so significant that it would proof that telepathy exists scientists said that people doing the experiments were cheating. This happens often and not only with telepathy but also with OBE and so on and so on. So if some one does not believe, very often does not want to believe and there is no point in bringing any proofs.

It is not about bringing proof to the masses but rather finding out yourself.

I think you will find that it IS up to you to bring proof to us

seeing that its you that thinks "people have a very limited view"

Even if someone gave the proof, someone would surely disprove it very quicky.

You can't dispute hard facts mate.

To which i might add you have not offered and are unwilling to supply any. I wonder why???

So if some one does not believe, very often does not want to believe and there is no point in bringing any proofs.

With that kind of mentality you could make any old statement you like and wash your hands of any responsibility on your part to prove your statement to be viable.

Don't get me wrong Martin i am in no way trying to ridicule your beliefs here.

Its just that when you make bold statements and then refuse to prove

your statement to be true/viable it takes the credibility away from the

statement and the person making it..

I think you will find that it IS up to you to bring proof to us

seeing that its you that thinks "people have a very limited view"

Ok.The whole point was that I'm not in position to give you any proofs. If I were astrologer I would try but I'm not. I only said that people do not have the clear idea about astrology because most of the time they think that astrology is what they see in the magazines. All I said was that we should not judge something before we know enough about it. I do not know enough about astrology so I am not saying it is not worth a penny. Therefore I am not giving you any proofs. For exmaple most people are sure that there is life out there in the universe. We do not know this and we do not have any proofs and despite of this we believe because universe is vast and we are very small. Similar with with astrology I do not know any scientific proof but keep my mind open because we only started exploring and what one day is "hard fact" in science another day it is just a joke.

You can't dispute hard facts mate.

Well, hard facts couple of hundereds of years were that Earth was flat. If somesome at that time would said it was not, he would be killed. Similar with the question of the centre of our solar system and with many others.

With that kind of mentality you could make any old statement you like and wash your hands of any responsibility on your part to prove your statement to be viable.

Yes, I agree...that is the reason I am not giving any proofs because I do not know about any proofs that you might regarded as scientific. Do not get me wrong, I am not religious person or similar but I suspect that there might be someting real about astrology if it's been used for many thousands years in different cultures. This does not necessairily mean I belive in astrology...ALL I wanted to say is that we should have mind opened :D

Martin :lol:

Astrology has been around for do long because on the whole its harmless fun. Check your horoscope when its nearly your birthday and they'll predict a party. How spooky is that? How could they know? :D

It does get a bit naughty when premium rate 'phone lines offer detailed "readings" at very high cost to gullible people as that's just robbery.

Predicting the future is as unlikely as travelling faster than light, for exactly the same reasons. Its all based on the "arrow of time" concept really, so I for one don't accept predicting the future as possible.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived