M101, 22.5 hours, over and out!

ollypenrice

I always think of M101 as a rather stately old bird, regal certainly, but no jazz musician. Well, here she is with a lot of light and a whiff of Ha, painlessly captured in my sleep last night in 13 half hour subs, all keepers. That Mesu 200 mount is divine.

Total exposure, as above, is 22.5 hours.

I hope you don't feel it's too over the top but tell me if you do.

Following Yves' advice, no darks but a Defect Map applied in AstroArt 5. Flats were a pain. DBE in Pixinsight saved the day.

Yve's setup, ODK 35cm/Mesu200/SXH36

Olly

Big one; Galaxies - ollypenrice's Photos

M101-HaLRGB-22-HRS-WEB-L.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Grand image, you are having fun with these toys :(

One observation, I viewed it full size on your smug mug and compared it to your M42, this looks far softer any reason?

I think that is just the focal length and the seeing. The big scope is limited by the atmopsphere in a way that the short FL Takahashi isn't. The Tak works below the seeing, the 14 inch above it.

Olly

super result Ollie and I'm so pleased that you resisted the temptation to overblow the HA regions when you added the HA data. You have used the narrowband data very sympathetically to enhance the image rather than using it like a stick of garish red lipstick :(

super result Ollie and I'm so pleased that you resisted the temptation to overblow the HA regions when you added the HA data. You have used the narrowband data very sympathetically to enhance the image rather than using it like a stick of garish red lipstick :(

Thanks. I'm very touched by this because it did take some self discipline to make so little of a full night's imaging, but a little is best when adding Ha to galaxies and your encouragement will remain with me. It will be easier next time to be so sparing!

Edit; Rob, please don't pack your gear at the expense of your expertise. The latter is far more important!

Olly

I almost expected this to called M101 The Fat Lady Sings; ie this is it!! As good as anyone could possibly imagine M101 to look like. You need money and understanding of orbital mechanics to better it.

Inspiring as an achievement and almost surreal to think that this is real, it's out there.

It's a massive barrier to break I think to go beyond a colourful saturated blob in the midst of something blackish (my level) - that will remain just a blob on a screen, but once broken or blown to pieces like here, you go: "Hang on here.. I am looking at a real galaxy!"

Archived