Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL7 Leo Triplet

Darth Takahashi

Here is my SGL7 Leo Triplet.

The Leo Triplet and I have been doing battle for a couple of years now. You could say it has been my nemesis.:blob10:

On several occasion just when I thought I had it in the bag a glitch has stopped me from completing it successfully. Well it has now finally succumbed to the dark side.:o:D:D

This is approximately 3hours in L and 40min in RGB binned 2x2.

All taken with the trusty TOA130F and the ST10 SBIG ccd camera.

All processed captured with MaxIm then processed with Pixinsight and blended together with PhotoShop.

I do have some Markarians chain which I'll be processing next, but I dont have a lot of data just yet, something to finish off this week maybe?

I hope you like the Triplet.

post-15658-133877754454_thumb.jpg

Good work there! When I was there you could actually see the difference a dark sky made to your subs, a lot more stars and a much lower background level - apart from Saturday night when the mist made things look a little hazy.

Hooray for dewshields! :blob10:

Last night I managed to get 16x10mins in HA which I have now added to the original image using "Vicent Peris" technique and Pixinisight. A video tutorial can be found on Harry Page's website for those who are interested.

I think the HA has lifted the image and the colour detail n the dust lanes. I hope you like it.

post-15658-133877755011_thumb.jpg

Really nice Neil - but I get some dark spots in the image, like no flats have been applied..?

'T' Shirt flats were applied but some dust remains un-subtracted from the lights. Something to take out with the clone brush now I guess; since there is no point applying more flats after the journey back home.

Very nice image Neil, really smooth. So what’s your next nemesis to vanquish M101 by any chance? :(

Mick

Exactly... M101 is next but it will be a real challenge for me and a complete departure from my normal imaging routine since I will be using the SuperNewt.

For those that don't know, I have built my own F4 carbon fiber SuperNewt from a donor Orion Optic DX300. The primary has a Zygo report stating 0.987 strehl and I have added a 2.5" motorised Moonlite focuser.

M101 will be mine!!!

Archived