Hello

Ronny

Hello from Northern Ireland. I'm from the North Coast and joined to try to broaden my knowledge and see what interest others in the Astronomy world.

Looking forward to browsing the site!

"go put, look up!"

Hi Ronny and welcome to the forum. You might like to download a free bit of planetary software called Stellarium here to help you understand the night sky. It's easy to use, can be configured to your precise viewing location and has lots of features to keep you entertained when the clouds come in (...and stay in!). One of the interests in astronomy that has grown hugely in recent years is that of astrophotography, in part helped by emerging technologies and the relative affordability that economies of scale in manufacturing have now secured. The results that the 'average' astronomer can obtain is quite outstanding as evidenced by the submissions astronomers make to various competitions. Of course that has its down side in that it can give the impression that the final results are easy to get, when in fact the act of collecting the necessary data over many hours along with the many hours of image processing tell a different story. Most imagers at some point will have considered whether imaging is more frustration than it is fun but thankfully many have stuck with it so many observers like me can see what what we're missing!

Clear skies for now.

James

Thanks for the welcomes. I have Stellarium and enjoy using it. I'm right at the start of my observing hobby and hope to at some stage get into astrophotography but first I need to learn the skies!!

"go out, look up!"

Archived