Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from a noob in Kent

Ifmfo

Hello everyone,

Been browsing the forum for a few days and found it really informative and friendly already, thought it was time that I registered and said hello!

I'm very much new to all of this, I've been viewing the night sky with the naked eye for about three months now, and I'm right on the verge of buying my first scope. I'm thinking of getting the Sky-Watcher Explorer 130M, I'd like to get into AP at some point, but not yet, I imagine at the start I'll be far too busy trying to get my head around the scope!

Anyway, hello to you all, I look forwards to chatting to you and learning lots in the time ahead.

Helen

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello both of you :)

I have already discovered the wonder that is Stellarium, which has pointed me to things I would never have found otherwise. More recently, I'm loving the 'Night Sky' app on my phone, now that I have a phone capable of handling such technology!

Hi Helen and welcome to the forum. Astrophotography can be broken down into two levels. The first, imaging planets and the moon can be done via an inexpensive webcam from which the best 'frames' of the object are selected, then stacked on top of each other using a free program called Registax to create a composite image. The second, is imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebula which requires much longer exposures to help capture their faint light and will require a very good mount from which to perform this process. The data will require a bit processing too to help construct and bring out the maximum detail in the final image. The setup you mention in your post can help facilitate the first level but the mount is not sufficiently accurate enough for the second level.

To help provide you with more information, you may might want to think about getting a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95). It will tell you what kit you need and why you need it to obtain good consistent results. There is a review of this book on the equipment review section on this forum which you might also like to look at. This book is very comprehensive and will help provide a detailed overview so that you know what you're getting into from the start. Imaging is satisfying when you get it right but equally very frustrating when you get it wrong and using the appropriate kit from the beginning goes a long way to help alleviate that frustration. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Archived