Good evening!

Codmate

Hello all,

I'm a guitar teacher and ex-software developer in my mid-thirties from South Wales in the UK.

Although I'm new to practical astronomy, I've had an interest for many years. I've put off buying a telescope, since I've almost always lived in light-polluted areas.

Seeing Venus and Jupiter dancing around in recent months convinced me to take the plunge though; and I have gone the Orion XT-8 classic route as I wanted to learn the sky, but have good views while I was at it. Currently I just have a 25mm and 10mm eyepiece.

So far I have been incredibly impressed, even from my horribly light-polluted back garden.

The first night's viewing was at a friend's place, which is slightly less light-polluted. After using the daytime moon to calibrate the finder-scope I couldn't believe how easy everything was to operate!

Once the moon was in focus I was amazed to see such unexpected detail!

Once the sky got dark we had a good look at Mars, which seems overly bright to make out much detail at the moment. I guess I need a filter.

Jupiter was the second *real* 'wow' moment. I couldn't get over how much could be seen, even with a streetlight blaring away just across the road.

I've been out in the freezing cold several times since; weirding out my lodger by walking around the house in two coats, two jumpers, black leather gloves and a hat and turning all the central heating off to prevent dewing when I move the scope back indoors!

"I've seen... things you people wouldn't believe..." - Saturn was amazing when I stayed up late enough for it to rise over my neighbors' house. Then I started hunting for clusters and various other objects that I knew about with varying degrees of success.

I tend to plan my 'route' in the Starry Night software (the FOV display is invaluable) and then just go for it. 90% of the time this works.

A variable moon filter arrived today; which I haven't had the chance to try out yet. Can't wait!

The only problem is that there are so many accessories to be bought or made! I'm already looking at buying things that I didn't think I would need or want (ironing board chair‽) and am the proud owner of an eyepatch. I wish somebody had told me about that one before I bought the scope :)

I also have a 2x Barlow (Orion Ultrascopic) on the way, and can't wait for that to arrive too!

Anyway - this forum seems very good, and I have gotten superb information here just from lurking - so thank you all very much indeed and I shall see you all around.

Clear skies!

Hiya and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your first scope! I remember buying mine last year didn't know much about the practical side of things when I started but I'm slowly getting there and loving every minute! Good bunch on here, they will help you with anything if you ask. Happy observing and clear skys!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum. Good choice of scope with some very useful aperture. Can I add the Telrad red dot finder as well as a right angled finder to your list of accessories. This particular finder combination makes finding deep sky objects (DSO's) just that little bit easier in my honest opinion (..I should imagine they're already on your list!) but there's no rush - the stars aren't going anywhere.

Clear skies

James

Hi and welcome to the forum. Good choice of scope with some very useful aperture. Can I add the Telrad red dot finder as well as a right angled finder to your list of accessories. This particular finder combination makes finding deep sky objects (DSO's) just that little bit easier in my honest opinion (..I should imagine they're already on your list!) but there's no rush - the stars aren't going anywhere.

Clear skies

James

Thanks for all the kind messages ;)

YES - I have found the 'EZ Finder II' alright, but it has some pretty glaring flaws, which I'm sure you're all aware of - like the dodgy brightness control etc.

And yeah - I sat on a slug in the garden a few nights ago while crouching to use the finder Alcor/Mizar. Nice :)

A right angled finder prevents slug to bottom interaction I should imagine.

I also caught one trying to steal an eyepiece, so I have a proper case for them coming! The slugs may be in my gutter, but they are definitly trying to look at the stars!

Off to have a look in a minute after completing my first attempt at collimation using just the collimation cap. I have to say I didn't enjoy it. Adjusting the primary was easy enough, but I found the secondary really fiddly! Then I read in the manual that the secondary doesn't have to be bang-on center anyway. GAH! ;)

Ah well - I'm learning a lot!

I am definitly going to buy something to aid this process as I just couldn't get a white surface bright enough, so ended up using a lightbulb; which I can still see ten minutes later :)

I'm quite the perfectionist about these sorts of things too, so I struggled for ages with the allen key and screwdriver to try and get the secondary PERFECT.

The way it reacts to what you do all seems a bit random though, and I got frustrated and left it just a wee bit off-center after about half an hour fiddling. We'll see how it performs in a minute. The primary is central anyway.

What I could really do with now is a list of good targets to go for!

I plan to have a look at Saturn later, but if anybody wants to suggest objects I might enjoy with an 8"Dob from a light-polluted, but clear South-facing garden; go for it!

Archived