Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my new toy

Daniel-K

went to pick this 16inch dob up today very nice indeed already made my dew shield took most of the camping mat! got some carbon fiber vinyl for the finder coming in the post as well as my flocking sheets and better springs for the collimation adjusters waiting for some sort of gap in clouds. collimation was easy with a Cheshire :)

post-18942-133877747652_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smashing scope, the views are awesome. I had a play with one of these at the SGL5 starparty. The ring nebula live and in colour with my own eyes :):)

An LB16 is definitely on my long term shopping list :)

the mirror is in good condition but im going to get it re-coated just for the fact i can see me having this for a very long time with the time im going to be putting in doing the mods to make it sweet as

i bought it mainly because i dont really know were alot of stuff is in the sky i jumped straight in and got a goto so never really needed to know but now i want to know so this should be a fun way to learn. got my pocket atlas on order with my red torch. just need a telrad now :)

Good god......................that is a beast. You made the dew shield for a single camping mat?

yes its was 10mm thick which was needed other wise it would have been to floppy there was a tiny bit left over to do the finder :)

not too rub it in but just had an hour of a clear patch! this is another reason for a dob clear patch = astro fix :) took a bit to align the finder but seeing saturn as it looks in a picture :) the view through the 8MM BST was huge! then i found M44 wooo first messier found non go-to then the leo triplet :) and to finish it off a nicely resolved M3 :) stunning! just drifting though 12MM BST very impressed

Excuse me for being a bit thick, as I am still learning the ins and outs of the different types of telescopes, but won't an open truss dob like that suffer badly from residual light compared to a closed tube scope?

In anything but excellent dark site surroundings, isn't it a problem? Or do you have to cover the truss with a blanket/shroud? Still getting my head around that idea (since I first saw that type of scope). Understand how refractors/reflectors/SCTs all basically work, but that design really confuses me.

I know they are called light buckets, but that bucket looks like it is full of holes! Just looks like the light you've collected can escape or the light you don't want can flood in? There must be some simple physics involved. I say simple...........

:)

Normally if the surround light is a problem you use a shroud to cover it, you can buy expensive ones or make you own for less. The light you have collected by the primary mirror cannot escape though, as once the mirrors are collimated, it all gets shot through to the secondary and up to your eye.

Yeah, I understood that once collected by the primary it was ok, it just appears that you are missing out on even more possible light. Is it a pay off for having a larger aperture but at a manageable weight?

Archived