Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What telescope and eyepiece showed you the Veil

Hi all,

I thought it would be fun to get an idea of what scope and eyepiece first showed you a full visual of the veil nebula.

Being such a large object I wanted to get an idea of what equipment people have succeeded with.

I was planning on using a widefield Televue or Pentax XW with an 80mm or fast f/6 100mm ED Refractor. My dob at the moment will never show it, or the larger one I plan to get in the future.

Cheers,

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

31mm Type 5 Nagler in a 106mm Astrotech EDT apo with OIII filter does the job. Needs a dark site really but this combo gives a 3.68° field. Very lovely combination for lots of the bigger stuff.

41mm Panoptic gives just over 4° but strangely I've never tried it on the Veil.

Stu

Some interesting setups, along the lines of what I was thinking.

Does anyone have any advice on how the UHC and OIII filters compare on the veil? I am going to guess the latter is the one in favour. Unfortunately I don't have one :)

I guess in the nature of it being a nebula, it is best viewed with a large dob which can gather the most light. As opposed to a widefield refractor that can fit it all in but not show as much.

A 31 Nager would give a nice 2.0 degrees of sky in a 200p and 1.6 in a 12" f/5 dob...

I've seen it pretty well from the garden in my 10" and a 32mm Plossl (I know!) with a UHC. This year I'll have a 2 inch 32mm 70 degree FOV one so that will give me a better/bigger view. I was able to see it without a filter and I preferred the unfiltered view. It is beautiful.

Bart

Interesting Bart, you dont find the 6.7mm exit pupil too much then? I found it made placing my eye a little difficult. So I tried the 24mm Panoptic which gives the same field and haven't looked back since.

you must have amazing skies!!

Moonshane.

Should I not be able to see it? I'll admit I had difficulty finding it at first, but once I found it, I could spot it most nights it was high in the sky. Maybe a OIII will bring more of it into view, but unfiltered, I could scan from the Eastern to the Western veil.

However, I long to see the North American neb and cant find it. I think its so big I cant get definition.

Bart

I had the exactly problem the whole time it was last in season :)

Its one of my goals this year. Along with going right through Virgo and maybe getting M7, it is very, very low in the sky where I am though.

WRT to the exit pupil, no didn't find any problem. When i got the 10". I got a 32mm Erfle and i find it quite a good EP. Easy to use. Few seagulls in the corners, but nothing too bad. Hope to get more of the Veil with that this year.

Bart

I had some great views last year with the 28mm Uwan and Olll combo. This also gave a 2* field so not enough to see the whole complex in one go but pretty spectacular all the same. Its a bit of a trade off i reckon, view it with a fast apo for huge 3-4* swaths of sky or compromise some of the fov for a brighter image with a bigger dob. I'm looking forward to it this time round with the 12" scope although the fov will be smaller than with the 8" scope it should be significantly brighter.

Moonshane.

Should I not be able to see it? I'll admit I had difficulty finding it at first, but once I found it, I could spot it most nights it was high in the sky. Maybe a OIII will bring more of it into view, but unfiltered, I could scan from the Eastern to the Western veil.

However, I long to see the North American neb and cant find it. I think its so big I cant get definition.

Bart

with good dark skies yes, it's certainly visible with your scope. I just wish I had such skies! :)

The Veil is one of the targets I searched for for ages from my South London back garden with telescopes of varying sizes, but always failed.:)

Eventually, I saw the Veil (North America Nebula too, as I recall) for the first time from southern France using a low power eyepiece and a TV-85. The right skies make all the difference.

200mm newt, 32mm plossl, Lumicon UHC filter, from mag 5 skies.

I regularly see it with a 150mm with the UHC as well, looking forwards to the summertime and I'll try the 80mm and a wide-field eyepiece and see what happens.

Seeing the Veil was one of the knockout moments for me. Used a ZS80, 30mm Moonfish clone and Castell OIII filter to find it from my modestly light polluted back garden. It was surprisingly obvious with the filter, and just barely visible without once I knew what to look for.

UHC filters are only marginally better than none in my skies.

Archived